Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

single hook models.

Here in the UK some major changes are being discussed with a view to long term salmon protection. Single hooks only, as opposed to trebles and doubles may be compulsory.

I am considering thinking ahead and only buying single hooks so I don't end up with a defunct collection.

I invite people to list their favourite hooks for fishing. I'm not interested in hooks looking fancy but snapping at the slightest knock.

Never had a problem with quality hooks! Bought some partridge single tubefly hooks a year ago but haven't had a fish on those yet! Came new rules 2 years ago on my river, now only floating lines & leaders, weighted flies alowed, 3 singles, 1 single & 1 double, or 1 treble! 8mm gap maximum! Also sep, oct, nov no fishing 10pm-7am! Before that was 24-7 singles1/0 max doubles6 max trebles8 max! Is it true partridge stopped making the salar hook?

Reg Salar, that's the rumour. Seen a hook billed as a replacement. Nothing really like it to be honest. Very poor weld consistency as well.

I currently use owner doubles for tying or VMC hooks. Also use kamasan low waters.

Its looking as though our rules will be less flexible and be single only. Some rivers currently have floating line only if under a foot and singles only with tubes etc etc but this isn't really enforced very hard.

I might just stick to tubes only if the rule is pushed through and stick with my 'carp' single hooks.

Hey Piker20,

For non-tube flies, I've had really good luck with Gamakatsu hooks. Good quality. Recently tying on some Daiichi Alec Jackson hooks, and they seem really good, and their "heavy wire" models are really solid. For tube hooks (doubles) I've been using Loop and Patridge Salar and never had a problem with either...

The same rumour is floating around Quebec too, for conservation reasons. I'm all for it, but think there are some much more important measures that need to be established first. Like 100% catch and release, and mandatory use of a net to cut down fight time (which in my oppinion will have a much bigger impact on survival rates).

I'm tying all on single partridge heavy wire salmon hooks. No reason other than 25 years ago Partridge was the standard by which all were compared, which I get the feeling isn't true any more...

I agree with a net although a fresh fish often takes as much playing to net as it does to hand out.

100% c&r I'm not at all convinced by. I normally return all my fish but feel strongly about the right to catch and eat one if i want.

Currently we are all C&R until April but if you feel spring fish are somehow more precious or fragile then surely there should be no fishing at all untill their run is over. But the problem then comes that the run may be early or late and what is done then?

Before long you start to argue for no fishing at all.

I agree Piker, and have no problem with reasonable harvest for fish (I occasionally harvest a few for a meal, pike, walleye and such). The problem specifically in Quebec is the population is in a terrible state. We just had the worst run last year, ever recorded. Some of the rivers harvested 500 or so fish, of a total run of 5000. That's a 10 % cull of breeders. Given the poor state of things, I find that a lot... stopping that would be much more useful than banning doubles. If the population goes back up, I would gladly reinstate harvest.

You are right though, the next step might be no fishing and protecting these fish.

Bah, but this is just one mans view of things and certainly not the only way to go about protecting the resource.

Cheers!

While I would NEVER advocate the a ban on fishing ... I can say that it might be needed once in a while. When the BP oil spill happened in the Gulf of Mexico ... people thought it would wipe out all aquatic life. To give the fish a fighting chance, a one year moratorium on fishing was put in place.

Turns out, the moratorium did more to help the fish than the spill did to harm them. From all reports I've seen, shrimp and crabs are in numbers and sizes not seen for a decade before the spill. Reds and Tarpon are at all time size maximums. The populations are swelling, and it only took one year of no fishing.

Sometimes, humans do so much damage that they don't know about ...

That's a fair point. I think its more logical to close down a water for a year than to pick some random 3 month period and then allow all and sundry for the next 6 months.

Another advantage of 100% catch and release would be to convince Greenland to close their commercial fishery back down (they argued, with a certain point I have to admit, why should they stop harvest when Canada is still doing it).

Same argument as the natives in the bay despatiesim. They mostly net when all the big hens are entering the river, and we catch so many scarred up by the nets that we know will have trouble surviving. Last year, as you mentioned, was alarming low throughout most all Canadian rivers - pretty scary. Im with you - Quebec needs to go catch and release if we have a chance of getting a deal with the commercial fishery and the native nets strung across the entire river. They did a five year deal on the Grand Casapedia and the increased count results were immediate. Doesn't seem like rocket science huh...

Yeah, When things are bad, every little bit helps! On a healthy fishery, 10% harvest is no big deal. But when you think of how many smolts that could represent, and given the precarious situation... it just makes sense. I don't like imposing things on people... but the meat and potatoe fishermen won't make this decision on their own... they'll keep harvesting till the last one... I guess habits are hard to change...

I'm a Musky fisherman. Catch and release for Muskies has been the rule for this fishery for more than 25 years. The number of anglers targetting the species has steadily increased and so has the pressure on the fish. And the number and size of fish being caught has never been higher! Its proof that catch and release works and makes a huge difference?

just food for thought...

Simon