Fly Tying
wschmitt3

Danvise.... very frustrated with jaws

wschmitt3:

You are absolutely correct that the Danvise is a vise people either like or hate. Many are put off simply

by the fact that much of the vise is Delrin instead of metal. tying flies that extend well back of the hook

bend can also be a problem.

Your suggestion about Cabelas and Orvis seems plausible to me. SilverCreek's comment about

the Regal Vise spitting hooks if improperly placed and the jaws breaking is an oft heard claim about the

Regal. Truth be told I also had a hook spit out of my Danvise but I lucked out about the jaws breaking.

I too had a Regal which chipped its jaws. I started with a cheap knockoff of the Thompson A and its jaws wore out fast due to the soft steel used. Got an HMH Spartan which is a solid vise and a great travel vise. I still use it for larger flies. I mostly tie on a Renzetti. The model with the knob that tightens the jaws. I do not use the rotary feature much, but it is nice to quickly see the off side of the fly. There are too many good vises out there to put up with one with poor jaws.

"not even worth the time plugging in the grinder. you'd lose the parallel faces on the inside of the jaws, and take the heat treatment out for sure."

You are trying to do it the hard way. Just grind the nose back past the deformed area (looks like about 1/8") and MAYBE regrind the taper (leave more material at the tip to add strength). Don't grind on the "parallel" surface, but remove the portion that is no longer parallel. It's easily done without any fancy equipment.

In the future insert the hooks a little deeper into the jaws

doh. i was thinking to hard. ^^^what he said^^^

I have been tying on a Regal for over 5 years on this stretch. I have the Medallion stainless and the Medallion midge head. I pretty try to tie every day, and to this day I HAVE NEVER shot a hook out of either one of my Regal vises. When you shoot a hook out of a Regal vise it is operator error.

carp5351

I have been tying on a Regal for over 5 years on this stretch. I have the Medallion stainless and the Medallion midge head. I pretty try to tie every day, and to this day I HAVE NEVER shot a hook out of either one of my Regal vises. When you shoot a hook out of a Regal vise it is operator error.

carp5351

I agree up to a point. But shouldn't a vise allow for some lee way in putting in small hooks?

The "operator error" reply is used to defend a unique requirement of using the Regal Vise. Why do no other vises spit hooks? It is the forceful automatic spring action of the Regal which gives no feedback to the tier that the hook is not "perfectly" inserted.

I interpret "Operator Error" to mean, "If you like having hooks spit out every time you make an 'operator error,' you'll love a Regal." I didn't like having my "hand slapped" every time I made an "operator error" so I bought a more tolerant vise.

I drank the Regal Koolaid of a powerful jaw that needs no adjustment for various hooks once. I won't drink it again. Since most fly tiers tie a number of the same size flies at the same sitting, the time savings in not having to adjust the jaws between hook sizes is very minor in my opinion.

@ wschmitt3 - Let me know if you'd like to sell it, I am willing to rework it for the Scouts to tie flies on.

Regards,

J-Kno

Hey it looks as if Danvise has two types of jaw because mine do not seem as long as your jaws....I purchased mine from the UK and they seem to be a bit stubbier around the tip of the jaws. ( more meat in the cross section)