Fly Tying
troutguy

Classic Dry Fly Trout Swap

Mine got here today as well. Good stuff everyone. Troutguy, thanks for the coyote and thanks for hosting. I hope you didn't have to add postage, I didn't even cross my mind until now.

I just got home from a fishing trip and found the swap flies waiting for me. Well done everyone. Thanks troutguy for hosting a great swap. Wish I had won one of those coyote patches but I'm sure I can manage without it. That was a good idea!

Yeah, I figured mine would be here. Kid stopped at post and there was a package pickup but they're closed so I might have several things I'm waiting for. If it was just one fly set she shoves them into the little box I have to pay for. One of my pet peeves is that if we put up a box a block away on someone else's property we could get free mail delivery but for the privilege of going to get the mail in a little 4x4 box I have to pay $60 a year.

And why don't I put up a box? It has to be on their route and that's one street over and means it would be sitting there out of sight and vulnerable. Anywhere, rant over. Hope the flies are there when PO Mistress comes back from lunch.

Don't curse out the post office too loud. Bob Nelson did and they threw his flies on the lawn the next swap, everyone else's flies were in my mailbox.

Actually, our PO Mistress is a great person who helps me any way she can. Flies were in today and looking good as you'd expect from the great list of tiers. I got 13 flies and one was in there without a tag. What's up with that? Looks like my fly was one of the biggest tied but couldn't resist using the original English Redditch hooks I got a bit ago. Just a great bunch of flies and thanx for hosting.,

Vicrider mine has no tag. Like fresh out of the oven? They go from vise to your box. Not sure why thirteen. Oh Oh

I got mine yesterday. Great looking flies everyone!!! Thanks for a wonderful swap!!!!

Got the flies yesterday.

Again a nice collection of beautiful flies and less proportional "correct" ones.

Hope that the flies in general is helping people to improve by seeing others take.

In general however I think that the flies are either very nice, or outright wrong, not really any in-between.

Think that everyone (myself included) should spend time on looking at good proportion of flies before tying for a swap, and that way have a broader knowledge of "right" vs. "wrong" in the look of the flies.

Also, less tying thread and for some a denser hackle could be needed, some of the flies almost looks as wet flies to me.

I know that some don't like the critique, and likes to use the phrase "let the fish decide...", I however think that fly tying is so much more than fly fishing, and therefore this phrase i void in my opinion!

Also, critique is just a guide on where to focus the effort to improve ;-)

Looking forward to hear any one with critique of my flies, which for this swap was more sloppy tied than my normal flies due to time pressure. - Hit me any way...

Best

Henrik