Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lotech Joe

Mohair Leech

I plan on fishing a mohair leech this Spring in various colors, primarily black, olive and red. Does anyone else here use a mohair leech for panfish? If so, what is your favorite method? I'm planning on a free drift with short twitches.

I've never tied or tried a leech pattern. When I catch fish, there are almost always leeches in the mouth. But, they are only 1/2 inch or so .... nothing like the big ones that leech patterns mimic. I am sure those are in the water, but I've never found one in stomach contents or on a fish. I believe they stay in the silt deep enough to keep hidden.

I do like the pattern, but I think I'd tie it lighter colors, and fish it more like a streamer.

Until I decide to do that ... no, I haven't fished a leech pattern, yet.

I use a furl tailed mohair leech and have great success on it. Short strips and long pause.

Rick

Hey Rick, howdy! Just so you know, you're the guy I got the recipe from. Good to hear from you again.

Mohair leaches are goto flies for me when fishing trout in the big lakes out west. I have dozens of them mostly in "brown," black, olive, and tan.

I put the quotes around brown, since I use a leach yarn called "Canadian Brown" which appears brown but really is a blend of other colors.

I don't furl the tail, simply tie in a length of the mohair behind the hook and brush it out a little. So easy to tie, and so effective.

post-12074-0-03742800-1425649306_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-82661800-1425649567_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-35576900-1425649575_thumb.jpg

utyre, where do you get that mohair from? I have it from a couple of different sources and it's a little fuzzy but nothing like the great look you get on those. I'd tie ones like that if my mohair would bush out like yours. Brand?

I have had mine for over 20 years, but you can get it here. Don't overlook the California Leech blend, its a good one too. I have on very rare occasions been able to find brushed mohair yarn at specialty yarn stores, NOT craft stores. Its pretty hard to find these days. You can also call Fish Tech in Salt Lake City, they may have it as well. Their number is 801- 2 seven 2 eight eight zero eight.

I bought some olive mohair a few years ago and I don't think I had ever used it. I tied up a couple leaches yesterday and they are quite sparse even after brushing them out. I don't care for the look but I see how they work one of these days. I even tried to brush them out prior to wrapping on the hook which seemed to make little difference.

Brushed mohair is a different yarn than regular mohair. The brushed yarn has a lot of long loose fibers.

Uni has a line of mohair yarn. I picked up a few spools last fall at one of the fly shows. It isn't brushed. I haven't done much with it, but I have learned that sparse leeches are often more effective than fat ones, so it may not be a problem. Also, you could try brushing it as you wind, rather than waiting until the fly is finished.

The yarn I purchased was in package with the local fly shop's label and it was wound onto a card like most chenille. Phg,...It is a good idea to brush as it is applied to the hook. I did try that and I also tried brushing the yarn strand after it was tied to the hook and before any was wound onto the hook. Neither seemed to make a noticeable difference. I just tied up two and I thought I would give them an honest try in my waters this year. Sparse may be the ticket. Only the fish knows.