Fly Tying
flyman2

Effective woolly bugger colors

I tie in the chenille and make a loop about 6 to 8" long tie in the loop, like you are making a dubbing loop. Then twist the chenille tightly around itself. holding it loop tight as you do so. Then just draw a dark marker across the top of the chenille coloring just the top. Now untwist and unwrap the chenille. When you wrap this forward, you will have a variegated body.

Fabulous tip! I have tons of sizes and colors of chenille, and now, I can add a variegated look to any of them.

Thanks

Somewhere Indeed that a favorite woolybugger of Lefty Kreh is one with a peacock herl body, olive tail and hackle.
I hope to try some this spring, they look promising.

The color combinations are endless & as said they'll all work. I likely use black, olive, chartreuse, and white or some combination the most, and like Salmobytes I prefer some flash in mine.

If you want a different varigated look & don't have the correct color marker or varigated chenille, you can twist two different color chenilles together. I usually buy the size 2 or medium chenille, but when I find the smaller size at a good price I'll buy some specifically for making varigated chenille bodies on buggers and of course it's good for tying smaller sizes.

I like to add a little flash in silver, pink or chartreuse. Sometimes, I add pink, red or chartreuse in the body.