Fly Tying
Beadheads#1

Dying deer hair

Need some help.

I have plenty of deer hair (clippings from my local taxidermist) but would like to know how you dye it. I'm basically just looking to make some black and white.

Thanks in advance

if it is brown hair you can dye it black with ritz dye but i don't think you can dye brown hair white I think you need white hair like from the tail or belly ect. now white hair you can dye any color you wish hope this will help

You can bleach the brown hair and make it MUCH lighter. I have not tried to bleech it to white. I just get the white from my local taxidermist.

One of the things to remeber when dying is that you can not dye anthing lighter shade then what you start out with. You can purchase white hair but then you may be limited to the texture or type of hair just becuase you started with white.

Bleaching will tke out the natural color of the hair and make it lighter, Obviously, the lighter the hair you begin with the lighter it will bleach.

So I would say the first thing to do is determine what type or texture of hair you are looking for, Then you can either start with white or go with something you can bleach and redye.

Black is the easiest color to dye. Just follow instructions you can find on the web or here and then just leave it in the bathe overnight instead of rinsing it. I usually just get it up to temperature, put in the hair, and then leave it to cool in the pan overnight.