Fly Tying
Obi

Suggestions, plz: Easy & efective fly patterns

Dears,

my flyfishing-club asked me to actively participate in our annual fly-tying-meeting, and it's certainly my pleasure to do so.

The guys said, besides some more elaborate patterns, I may also want to present some tying on a "beginners level". Here's where I kindly ask for some suggestions.

I'd like to present some easy-to-tye, but highly effective (i.e. "catchy") Nymph- and Dry-Fly-Patterns, such as:

- CDC Once & Away (nope, no peccary-hair, here....... ;-) )

- Deer Hair Emerger

- CDC & Elk

These are flies I can recommend based on my own positive experience.

Would you have any other recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance,

Obi

P.S.: Sry for the typo in the title. I menat "effective", "Effective", yes "EFFECTIVE". Why can't I edit this dang title? ;-)

Since I don't tie them (no hackle to wrap) I don't have pictures. But I am told that wooly buggers are a must have pattern and easy to tie.

I also recommend some simple midge larva.

And bead heads.

Zebra midge

Griffiths gnat

Brassie

Devil bug

Those will cover a lot fishing grounds in the "easy to tie" and effective categories.

For nymphs start with the old standards.

God Ribbed Hare's Ear

Pheasant Tail

Prince

A caddis larva pattern

All with or without beads. These are standard technique nymphs that will allow new tiers to build from here.

Simple dry flies such as Elk Hair Caddis, Adams (up-wing and/or parachute versions) will build techniques to tie any caddis or mayfly pattern.

A BWO or sulphur pattern (up-wing and/or parachute) to reinforce the mayfly tying techniques.

f fly

mole fly

caddis larva

hares ear

pheasant tails

ants

sowbugs

thread midges

flymphs

soft hackles

green weenie

san juan worm

eggs

euro nymphs

scuds

Tellico nymph

comparadun

brassie

miracle nymph

buckskin nymph

Griffiths gnat

bivisible

buzzers

wooly worm/bugger

oliver kite nymphs

brown hackle peacock

gray hackle peacock

there must be other flies in your area that are easy to tie. use them for your class

Carey Special

gold tinsel body, pheasant rump feather hackle, tied on big hook maybe a 4 or 6 3x TUE.

black and grizzly woolly WORM. Super-easy, catches all kinds of fish anywhere there is water.

SilverCreek,

The Renegade that you posted is a nice looking fly. What is it's pattern please?

Obi, You don't give us much info on what you are doing. As a result you have lots of suggestions, but I doubt they answer what you are looking for.

What is the format of the day, and what are you trying to achieve? That will give you an idea of how you can put something together.

Remember it isn't about the flies, its about the audience.How long do you have them for? If it is a full blown demo of 2 hours plus it is a different prospect to a passing audience that you may have for maybe 10 minutes.

Cheers,

C.

Guys,

thanks a bunch for your suggestions so far - some really good petterns mentioned there. I wasn't thinking about the Phaseant Tail and Here's Ear, even if that could have been an abvious thought . The Zebra mide is a good one eiter.

@ Crackaig: Good Point. To add some extra info here: We've got four tyers, tying simultaneously at different spots throughout a pretty large school-mensa, and the audience is free to choose whom they are paying attention to. There is no real "motto" or something, every tyer is asked to present some of his / her favourite flies.

I am presenting now for the 2nd time - the 1st time I presented some patterns tyed in Paraloop-Style, and may favourite nymph-pattern, a Catgut-Nymph. The feedback was quite positive.

This time, I am planning to show some Hans-van-Kinken-Patterns, such as the Leadhead Nymph and the Klinkkamer Special. However, I was asked to come up with some additional patterns "on a beginners-level" as well, and I was looking for some suggestions. Of couse, the patterns should not only be an easy tye, but also have the potential to bring up some fish.

That's the objective, I suppose............. :-)

Thanks, Obi