Fly Tying
Obi

Suggestions, plz: Easy & efective fly patterns

With a show type demo you will not need to go through the planning needed for a long demo. One thing you can do is look for flies you can tie from the same material list that you have already decided on. That will keep things simple for you, The less time you spend looking for materials the slicker your demo will be.

You already have (presuming you are sticking to the originals for those two flies) Green wool, partridge hackle, hare's ear or natural rabbit, tan Fly Rite, Peacock Herl, poly yarn, and blue dun hackle.

With the addition of only one or two other materials you can tie a lot of flies. If you replace the PTN with the GRHE you only need add gold wire to your list. (You can use partridge fibres for the thorax cover).

If you take peacock in the form of an eye feather you can strip the eye herls with a pencil eraser for bodies on lots of dries and nymphs. That alone is a good little demo.

A soft hackle of stripped peacock and a sparse partridge hackle is very good. I was first shown this by Dr Malcolm Greenhaugh about 25 years ago.

Tie a spinner pattern using a couple of strands teased out of the green wool to split the tail of blue dun hackle, stripped peacock body, wings of the poly yarn from the Klink' and a a touch of tan dubbing for the thorax. No extra materials for both of those.

Double Legs is a simple nymph of similar design to the Leadhead. Omit the green wool, replace the lead shot with a gold head and partridge hackle, on a standard shank hook. Requires only the addition of a gold bead to the list.

If your partridge is a skin the wings will provide biots. Then you have what you need for a Prince Nymph.

Limiting your material list enables you to concentrate on techniques, far more important than having lots of materials. Also it is an encouragement for beginners, showing them you can do a lot with a little.

Hope that helps some. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

C.

SilverCreek,

What an idiot I am! Guess I should have Googled that before I asked. Thanks!!!

Add ... I suspect the first statement is somewhat true ... but not for asking a question.

Kidding ... there's NO truth to the first statement ... really !!!

mikechell,

Buddy I can take what ever you dish out! LOL I'm not thin skinned...I bet you are itching to get out of that cold weather and head back home to the sunshine state! What's the temp up there in the windy city?

Thanks Silver! Aren't you up in the land of cheese? What's the temp up there? Spring getting ready to spring or will it be awhile still?

To everyone else that posted suggestions I enjoyed this post! It gives newbies some ideas on some easy flies to tie. Thanks to everyone's for your contribution!!!

I am in Wisconsin. We went from near record lows to near record highs. Gary mentions the crazy weather in his lastest blog entry. He features the fur bug, a fly that would work for a fly tying beginner class.

The materials can be made by anyone with a blade type coffee blender.

http://www.garyborger.com/2015/03/12/fur-bug/

I am definitely going to have to get me a electric coffee grinder I see! Thanks for the link as well I book marked it. My favorites in Internet Explorer are getting huge...LOL

I am definitely going to have to get me a electric coffee grinder I see! Thanks for the link as well I book marked it. My favorites in Internet Explorer are getting huge...LOL

I lucked out and found one at Goodwill for $2.

The rear hackle on that renegade is a superb Coch-y-bondhu if anyone has ever wondered what the colour looks like.

Cheers,

C.

It is actually in the 70s, here south of Chicago. I can't believe it's gotten so warm so fast. I am not complaining. Nice send off.

By this time tomorrow, I'll have been home for at least an hour. Might even have the yard mowed if it's not raining.

I think one of the simplest and most effective patterns to tie and to have where caddis live, is a rabbit dubbed caddis larva/emerger. Use it either way. A little weight (where weight is allowed) on a curved hook. Dubbed olive rabbit dubbing ( hares dubbing), tan thread or thin wire rib. A collar of brown or better ginger hen, two turns at most. Sized 16 - 12. Effective, catches fish where ever caddis are found.

And it's mate , the standard old traditionally tied Elk Hair Caddis.

These are must do first ties, IMO.

I found these on Amazon. I wanted battery power for portability. You have to keep the staple short on your dubbing, or it wraps around the shaft. Guard hair can be longer, but underfur needs to be less than about 3/8" (10 mm).

Kirk B.