Fly Tying
Chaznsc

No knot eyelets?

If the line comes with a welded loop, I use that. Otherwise nail knot a foot of heavy leader material to the line. You can then either use a loop-to-loop or blood knot to attach the leader.

I agree with Jaydub.

Do you mean those eyelets that had "barbs" on them that went into the center of the fly line? I, too, used them when I first started fly fishing as a kid many years ago. I remember they rusted really fast. They are probably better now but I still wouldn't use them.

Joe

I used them years ago... still have some, but there are newer (and maybe better) no-knot options available today. I did use them successfully for years and never had one come loose, so I can't see any reason not to use them today. All just a matter of preference as you'll see from your replies.

I have used a Krazy Glue connection where you draw the butt of the leader into the fly line with a sewing needle for about an inch or so, coating it with KG before you draw it up. It makes a strong connection. If you want, you can nail knot above this for a belt-and-suspenders sort of security. Then you can tie a Perfection Loop and attach any leader you want.

You have to shave the end of the leader butt with a double-sided razor blade. You can get it finer than a human hair to fit in the needle. Just hold the leader in your hand and draw the loose butt over the blade held at an angle. The friction against the blade will shave off the diameter. Once you get it in the fly line, you pull through the shaved part and pull the full-diameter butt in.

It's a nifty way to connect and the leader comes directly from the center of the fly line. Nowadays, I usually just nail know the butt to the line.

I too used them many years ago when I was a newb......My advise is to sit down and learn to tie a nail knot. They are not that difficult. If the fly line has a welded loop just use a loop to loop connection. If the line has no welded loop and you still want to use a loop to loop connection you can nail knot a piece of heavy mono to the line and then tie a double surgeons loop in the mono. I personally use a lot of loop to loop connections.