Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McLovin

Greetings from the Desert Southwest

Hello, my name is Scott from southwest Utah. I'm not only new to fly tying and fly fishing, but somewhat new to fishing in general. I didn't grow up fishing and didn't start until a friend got me started about three years ago. I do most things with my own twist. If and when I post photos of my flies please understand I don't mean to offend tradition, I just do my own thing. If any of my odd creatures and creations catch fish I'll share that too. Guidance is very welcome and critique will never be refused. If anyone is in the area I am always up for a day on the water with anyone wanting to spend the time.

Welcome to the forum Scott. Many knowledgeable people/tyers in here. Variation is sort of 'post and parcel' with fly tying, in my opinion - so don't sweat varying the originals - just don't state that they are tied to the recipe. Call it like it is - a variant (when tied like so...).

Tying allows for so much creativity which is one of the reasons why I think I like it so much. Although much can be said for tying to the recipes too as many if not most or all patterns will work sometime! If you want to catch fish with them, then perhaps there will be guidelines that work better when tying something - to catch a fish. You will learn that over time and either tie for creativity's sake or for catching a fish.

Have fun tying and welcome to the forum.

BCT

Welcome Scott. Don't worry about bucking tradition. It's not cool to tie a more-or-less traditional one, with changes, and call it the name of the traditional one. After all those names commemorate the person who invented them.

But as far as tying "your own twist" flies, remember: every fly in our database had at one time never been tied before, even the traditional ones. They were all originally a "new twist".

So happy tying, and do post pics.