Fly Tying
eide

April Flies from the Vice

Some little mayfly nymphs. I took some hooks out of both my size 18 and 20 compartment in my hook box but they seem to be the same size both in shank length and hook gape when I look at them with the naked eye but there seems to be different sizes in the photos.

I'm not totally happy with the consistency of the proportions or tapering of the bodies on some or that messy head in the first picture, the head I fixed with a snip of the scissors after i took these pictures, but I think they will fish alright any how. I'm still working on my small size tying. I think in the future I will tie these with out dubbing just thread.

post-52247-0-99759200-1428166613_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-90723400-1428166638_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-65087600-1428166661_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-26674500-1428166684_thumb.jpg

Cranked out a set of a six Pink Squirrels and a set of six heavily weighted olive pheasant tail nymph I use as a point fly.

post-52247-0-25606800-1428176647_thumb.jpg

Tying some bigger stuff today. Size 6 slump buster and size 6 Morrish hopper.

post-48654-0-83615300-1428179766_thumb.jpg

post-48654-0-63946700-1428179783_thumb.jpg

little%20gray%20may_zpscgo30r0q.jpg

Betcha I'm gonna get me one of those little beauties in the mail soon. Oh yeah,

Nick, AKA Vicrider AKA Bassman

Hey vicrider,

what sort of camera do you use to get such goon pics ?

I'm still using my iphone for ease of use.

Think i need some pointers....

One more for today. Bead head Pheasant tail nymph, kinda a pheasant tail variation on the triple threat fly, at least that's what inspired me to tie this fly. I did a prototype (for lack of a better word) the other day and only got two done this evening (beer hindering finger dexterity) but I will knock out a few more tomorrow, I like the looks of it.

post-52247-0-25579000-1428198986_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-49525500-1428199009_thumb.jpg

Hey vicrider,

what sort of camera do you use to get such goon pics ?

I'm still using my iphone for ease of use.

Think i need some pointers....

Wrong guy retro. That's a quote/copy from flytire. He does such good pics. I'm still struggling and even tho I bought a camera with macro it still doesn't do shots like that.

One more for today. Bead head Pheasant tail nymph, kinda a pheasant tail variation on the triple threat fly, at least that's what inspired me to tie this fly. I did a prototype (for lack of a better word) the other day and only got two done this evening (beer hindering finger dexterity) but I will knock out a few more tomorrow, I like the looks of it.

Nice! What's the collar?

There is always something new, now one of my customers want intruder style flies. The exact pattern he is after comes from Tim Smith, an instructor at the Arundel Arms, and is called the sea trout Werewolf. I've never tied intruders before, Didn't have the purple dubbing he uses at the rear of the body, black Amnesia for the connection or a stinger hook. So I mixed up some dubbing, used 30lb braid, and stuck a single salmon fly on just as a sort of place holder. Also I used an old Waddington Shank for the mount. If the customer does order I will have to get the right stuff, but I'm not splashing the cash until there is an order.

So, given the restrictions, I think I mad a reasonable stab at it.

Intruder_0002_zps4m77ss84.jpg

Cheers,

C.