Fly Tying
barrytheguide

BWO tied Klinkhammer Style size 18

Nice Barry, parachute that small are so tough.

Not so tough, if you have a look for Dave McPhail on YouTube you'll find some excellent tips I tying smaller flies. My style is very similar. One tip I did pick up from him is the use of Superglue rom a bottle with a brush.

Nice, that style is now the only kind of parachute I use (tie plenty or others) after I came to the conclusion that parachutes don't make good dun imitations. I had to read the pattern a couple of times, as I stupidly looked at the photo first. (You have the body / thorax materials the wrong way around).

Cheers,

C.

I like to tie the small parachutes also and I use the last tie off under the parachute hackle by throwing a whip finish in there and touching the thread with a bit of CA with the brush. After using several ones over the last few years I'm now sold on the Krazy Glue with the brush and have a brush I've trimmed way down and works great for dabbing a touch of glue on the thread just before you pull the Maratelli whip finish tight, either on parachutes or head of regular fly.

How do you get the bronze herl? Do you buy it colored or leave it in the window for a week in the sun rotating like I've also heard works?

It was a compliment, not a solicitation of advise but I agree Davie McPhail's videos have many good pointers.

Crackaig, are you saying that the poly yarn is the only type of parachute post you use or you only use klink style parachutes?

I like to tie the small parachutes also and I use the last tie off under the parachute hackle by throwing a whip finish in there and touching the thread with a bit of CA with the brush. After using several ones over the last few years I'm now sold on the Krazy Glue with the brush and have a brush I've trimmed way down and works great for dabbing a touch of glue on the thread just before you pull the Maratelli whip finish tight, either on parachutes or head of regular fly.

How do you get the bronze herl? Do you buy it colored or leave it in the window for a week in the sun rotating like I've also heard works?

It's just normal peacock, I think the photo makes it look bronze. I also use Krazy Glue under the Peacock Herl to make the fly a bit more robust.

Crackaig, it's my version of a Rusty Spinner BWO. Yours might be different

Craikaig is saying in your material list you switched the material you listed for the body and thorax. The thorax is the peacock herl and the "body" or abdomen is the Harrop BWO dubbing.

Craikaig is saying in your material list you switched the material you listed for the body and thorax. The thorax is the peacock herl and the "body" or abdomen is the Harrop BWO dubbing.

Ok, my mistake, I'll never do it again!. I don't fish many dries here in Redding, but I'm planning to this year. Upper Sacramento River fishing dries only.

You better not!

I am kinda thinking the same thing. I fished mostly nymphs and buggers last year, I would like to fish dries more this year. Upper Sacramento, dry fly only? Is it an anadromous spawning area?

You better not!

I am kinda thinking the same thing. I fished mostly nymphs and buggers last year, I would like to fish dries more this year. Upper Sacramento, dry fly only? Is it an anadromous spawning area?

No it's mostly fly only, dry's or wets. No salmon spawning on the Upper. But I fish nymphs pretty well all the time on the Lower Sac. This fly is just a experiment!

What I meant was that I only use parachutes that hang below the surface, like a Klinkhamer, or other emerger. I don't use them for dun imitations, ie with a straight body, as I find they ride to low in the surface.

Yes I do use mostly poly yarn for the post, and finish as you do, except I put my dubbing needle in the loop of the whip finish and put the head cement (whatever you use) on the needle or, in your case, the tip of your whip finisher. If you put a little tension on the thread as you pull it out, you hit the whip finish perfectly every time. You can use less cement this way and have less chance of gumming up bits you don't want to.

Yes it was that you got the body and thorax materials switched around. No biggie, but I was confused for a minute (easy to do these days, mind you it was never really all that difficult to get me confused).

Cheers,

C.

Yeah, guess I blew that too. For some reason I looked at the body and thought it had to be bronzed herl. I know some guys do this with herl by sun bleaching it. If I'd opened my eyes all the way I'd have seen the herl was at the thorax and not the body. Good catch on that Crack, bad call by me.