Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kennebec12

Headed to Vermont

Heading to the Stowe/Waterbury area for a little get-a-way end of this week. With this early season weather and that area is it worth spending $22 on the three day fishing license and bringing the fly rod along? Or even just to stop and fish the Connecticut on the way. Just worried that I'd be wasting my $22 with this cold weather and high water right now.

The Connecticut is coming up a little every day and is getting very tough to fish around here, I am not having any success fishing. So I couldn't say it would be a good time to fish the Connecticut this weekend since things are continuing to melt and we are expecting precipitation the next two days, I expect normal spring conditions on the Connecticut by Saturday(very high and fast flows). Call the Fly Rod Shop in Stowe. I believe they can give you an accurate report of the fishing conditions over that way (Winooski River, Mad River, Dog River,Little River), they don't tend to b.s. from what I understand. If it were me though I would bring it along just in case you see some fishy water thats open and fishable. Also the contitions tend to be very different west of the green mountains vs. on the eastern side of the state where I am so I dont know what to expect over there.

Are you taking the interstate or Rt. 302? I know of a couple beaver ponds along Rt 302 between the NH/VT state line and Montpelier on the Upper Waits River that should be thawed and have bookies you can fish to that are right along the road checking these out is my plan for opening day if my home water isn't fish-able due to run off. As long as the water isn't too crazy with run off a little black x-caddis or black gnat parachute or really any black dry fly should take a few.

Rt 2 via Lancaster NH, coming from more northern Maine. I figured the water would still be high and muddy but wasn't sure of the conditions and snowmelt, being a little further south and inland. I'll try giving the Fly Shop a call. Good to know the Connecticut is rough, thanks.

Decided not to fish given the conditions and the amount of time I could have actually spent fishing, but I scoped out some good looking water while we drove around and did tourist stuff. Been a long time since I was in Vermont and I forgot how nice the countryside was. Might have to back in early June and spend some time fishing in the mountains.