Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wschmitt3

Treating turkey feather for Kaufmann's Stone

I am interested in a spray adhesive for treating turkey feathers for tying Kaufmann's Stone nymphs. I don't really want to do the trial and error thing and waste a turkey tail. I have used Dave's fleximent and a brush and it works but I'm almost out and I'd like to just do a feather all at once, easy and quick.

I'm still working on getting good at this pattern and I'm going to sit down some time in the next few days and perfect the technique for the wing pads so I'd like to treat a feather all at once before I do it.

I have read a few times that craft glue or fabric adhesive is the thing to use for this but I would like a brand recommendation from some one who knows.

I use artist's fixative. Spray clear urathane probably works as well. I've never tied a Kaufman's Stone, though, I use turkey tail for other purpose

Very thin coating of uv resin

Or just use the feather as is

Or in a pinch use hair spray

Krylon, Prismacolor, or Sanford "artist" Fixative works fine (used for "fixing charcoal drawings). One small can will last quite some time. Hard as Nails works fine as well for Kaufman's Stone, but not as well for other applications, so I just use fixative and treat a couple of entire feathers at a time.

I am still using a large can of Grumbacher Fixative that I bought years ago. Maybe the newer stuff is less potent, but I would strongly suggest using it outdoors.

I have been using Krylon spray fixative for this purpose for 20 years. Good stuff- nice results. Quicker and much neater than head cement or Fleximent.

Similar texture to Flexament can be had by diluting some clear silicone with mineral spirits until it is thin enough to brush on. I use this to waterproof the stitching on tents and would work just fine to brush on a turkey feather to make it sturdier without losing its appearance or flexibility.

I just got some gloss Patricia Nimocks Clear Acrylic sealer at wal mart today.

From Amazon (pretty close to what it says on the can, didnt want to retype all the description on the label)

"Durable, clear coating that seals prints, also for use over paint, lacquer, and varnish. Use as a sealer on bisque and stain-finished ceramics. Preserve maps, documents, prints, etc. This clear, waterproof sealer produces a non-yellowing finish. May be used as a pastel fixative or over antiquing glazes and stains. An ideal quick finish for wood, glass, metal, cast resin or plaster. Available in gloss finish. Comes in 12-ounce aerosols spray."

Thanks you all for the input and suggestions. Ill let every one know how it comes out.

Ten minutes after giving it a good spray down it is just about completely dry. It seems to have bonded the feathers together nicely, its flexible and it has a nice light sheen on it. Much happier than the result I get using brush on fleximent, so far.

Whipped up a quick one. I dont plan to sit down and to tie any more today. The adhesive I got works great. It holds the fibers together very well when I cinch down on them and they dont get milky white when the fibers flex and crack the adhesive when they are attached the way that the fleximent did.

Here it is. I need to extend the wing pads a little more to make them more prominent.

post-52247-0-12136600-1428621811_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-71371800-1428621835_thumb.jpg

the fibers wont split while youre holding it in your hand

fish it and then see what happens

the fibers wont split while youre holding it in your hand

This is true... but with the fleximent they sometimes split while being tied in.

The hard time I have had with this fly in the past lies mostly with the wing pads being tied in. When I used the fleximent it was too stiff and when I tied in the turkey the fibers they would split apart and when the adhesive would come apart it would show a slightly white/milky appearance where it split or streched. When I said

It holds the fibers together very well when I cinch down on them and they dont get milky white when the fibers flex and crack the adhesive when they are attached the way that the fleximent did.

this is what I was talking about. This fly, however, will never see the water as is I am about to sit down and spend some time on these and this one is going to get torn down to the abdomen so I can keep trying the wing pads until I am satisfied with how they come out.