Fly Tying
flytire

back pack, sling pack, chest pack.....

....fanny pack, vest, European shoulder bag, huge shirt pocket.....

whats your method of carrying your flies and doodads when out on the river, lake, pond....

at 62 years old ive pared down enough to use an orvis sling pack. 3/4 the weight of the old vest

Minimalist. A lanyard and a fly box tethered to my waders is my go to configuration.

I do have a Fishpond medicine bow chest pack. I'll throw on a Oakley sling pack if I need additional stuff.

I switched to the large Simms sling pack last year, and I really like it compared to the vests and chest packs I've used.

Sling Pack and or a vest. I'm one of those that can't narrow down enough to just a few items. Is there a fly fishing hoarders group I can join?

I currently use an Umpqua Ledges 650 Waist pack. It is large but I like it allot. I do most of my fishing on foot so when I leave the house I like to make sure I have what I need, it has plenty of room for everything. That means a few (three usually) fly boxes, leaders, tippet spools, strike indicators, split shot, water bottle, head lamp, light weight rain coat(strapped to bottom in dry sack) even carrying 6-7 pounds of gear it is quite comfortable and it doesnt get in the way the way that a chest pack does.

I do miss being able to hang a net off of the neck strap of a chest pack though. My net has been a pain so far this year, I dont know why but the magnet I have doesn't seem to hold on quite as well as it did last year I may have to give a retractor another try.

I am also very seriously considering a Umpqua Steam boat creek or Simms Large Head waters sling pack I really like the idea of the sling pack. The carrying capacity and fit are great but lack of a full size water bottle holder on the out side is a big down side for me, during the summer I usually fill my water bottle with ice and water, the condensation will soak every thing in the pack and Id like to be able to have a rod tube attached for back country fishing, that leads me to my next thing...

I am in need of a replacement for my general purpose back pack I have been using a camelback 2 pocket hydration pack for 8 or 9 years and the zippers are not working well and it doesnt really suit my needs as a fly fisherman very well. It has a good capacity and excellent fit but it is lacking in many ways for fishing. With that said I am really impressed with the Surveyor backpack. It is really nicely made and fits perfectly.

I wore a vest for years. My shoulders would hurt so bad at the end of the day I switched to a waist pack. I've now gone back to a vest because I missed the convenience of not having to dig through the pack to find what I wanted. Also, I bought the Umpqua Swiftwater Tech vest that has a belt attached to it and it takes a lot of the weight off my shoulders.

Joe

Filson strap vest. It holds just enough stuff for me. I find that I will fill a larger capacity vest with crap. I tried a chest pack but couldn't get used to it.

In warm or hot weather when i want my small net with me, i use the Vision micro bra cos' it has a net loop on the back! Cold or rainy weather when i want my small net with me, i use my Loop wading jacket cos' it has big pockets & a net loop on the back! Warm or hot weather when i want my big net with me, simms bumbag or simms long sleeve shirt cos' it has HUGE pockets!

I use a Patgonia bag that I have had for awhile. It can be a hip pac, a shoulder bag or a sling pack. On days I will be out all day I just add a piece to it and it gets bigger. On short trips I take it as just a bag. Really handy.

I only bank or wade fish when I am on the road. I've got a Plano tackle belt. It's got one large rear pocket (zippered). On each side of that is a smaller pocket, both zippered, too. Then there's a water bottle pocket on one side and an open pocket on the other. I have a collapsible net holster on one side.

With this set up, and a lanyard on my neck, I carry enough equipment for several hours on the water.

Most of the time I carry a back pack and a hip pack. The back pack has all my gear that I don't need on hand, such as my boat box, extra camera mounts, spare batteries, memory cards, food, and etc. Hip pack has a few tools, a couple flies that I think will work through the day, some leaders, tippet, and two bottles of something to drink since the pack has two bottle holders on it. I am a notorious over packer but I want to have everything on hand that I may possibly need

I just carry a simple shoulder bag that has a few small external compartments. The smaller the better so I don't carry a bunch of stuff that I really don't need. I am looking to buy a fanny pack that will hold a couple of water bottles and maybe some simple lunch. Being diabetic requires some carbs to be carried. I really like a vest but it is just too hot down here to wear one in the warm months. Wet wading is almost an absolute requirement.

Mostly a hip pack. Also a shirt with big, closeable pockets. I fish mostly small streams. I use a vest when on bigger water. The problem with vests is that they have so many pockets, and you feel obligated to put something in them. Then you wind up with a vest that checks in at 15lbs. To heavy to carry around all day.

My .02