Fly Tying
flytire

back pack, sling pack, chest pack.....

Standard vest for me. I've tried many different things over the years, fanny pack, sling pack, chest pack, cargo shorts pockets etc etc...but I always find myself going back to the traditional good ol' vest. Just old fashioned and a creature of habit I guess.

I have been working my way through the various possibilities for the last few years. Like a lot of you I got tired of the neck/back ache after a day of lugging a vest. I have used a Fishpond hip pack for the last two seasons and got sling pack for this year. I have used it a couple of times and like it but am not convinced yet that it is the answer. I might just need a vest with fewer pockets.

Steve

I'm partial to backpacks as I to park and start hiking. I like to carry a little food and minimal gear for a change in weather. I've just switched to a Mindshift Gear rotational pack (http://www.mindshiftgear.com). Very well made, still figuring out what will go where, but am pleased with it.

Then...

FRYINGPAN1stVest-1-_zpsa3caf08b.jpg

Frying Pan River, CO - 1975

...Now

EWR5thVEST-5-_zpsc90e9bf9.jpg

..East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA...

I tried 'em all in-between...Always come back to a vest...

PT/TB

I typically hike long distances, either on the water or to the water, so I carry an LL Bean day pack to ensure I am properly outfitted for any situation. One pocket for fishing gear: leader, tippet, fly boxes, nippers, pliers and one pocket for survival type stuff: water filter, med kit, spare clothing/rain gear, food, map and compass. Probably 10-15 lbs of gear. I tried fishing with a vest but it just didn't suit me, could never find anything in any pocket, the weight couldn't be placed nicely, I was a mess both times I went out with it. I do fish from the canoe with a fishing "vest" life jacket, but my pack is still in the boat with me. And it doesn't bother me carrying it for short trips either, and it's always packed and ready to go.

I think the longest I went out for specifically to fish one water was a three day 30 mile hike to a very remote mountain pond, brought the actual backpacking pack for that one, a Kelty Trekker 3900. Properly dispersed weight and correct fit are crucial and the Kelty Trekker is very adjustable to fit properly, done right and you barely notice that extra 30 or 40 lbs. Someday I'll hike the AT with it. I love getting out there as far from the roads as possible, the fishing is so different in those untouched places, actually I've had a plane fly in to pond and they were baffled that I had walked there.

Bought a Cabelas chest pack. It has a VERY long shoulderstrap and is more suitable as a waist pack. It does the job well

I use a Wm. Joseph Chest pack. It holds up to 6 fly boxes and leaders etc. To supplement that I also wear a back pack of some sort. Mostly use a small "hydration" pack (without the bladder.) On longer trips my Kirkham's day pack. I carry snacks, lunch, water, camera, extra gear in the back pack which I can then take off and fish an area and pick it up again to move on. The smaller pack is big enough for a liter of water, some snacks, and camera.

In my Kayak, I just where the chest pack since it has my nippers, and other stuff. The rest of my gear will be in the milk crate behind me.

I use a Wm. Joseph Chest pack. It holds up to 6 fly boxes and leaders etc. To supplement that I also wear a back pack of some sort. Mostly use a small "hydration" pack (without the bladder.) On longer trips my Kirkham's day pack. I carry snacks, lunch, water, camera, extra gear in the back pack which I can then take off and fish an area and pick it up again to move on. The smaller pack is big enough for a liter of water, some snacks, and camera.

In my Kayak, I just where the chest pack since it has my nippers, and other stuff. The rest of my gear will be in the milk crate behind me.

A guy I fish with has a Wm Jos. chest pack and that thing is sweet.