Fly Tying
castingofflies

Easy pattern for a mosquito

Not many people fish the mosquito "hatch" it would be an easy nymph to tie though. I'd go with a simple thread body with a little bit of dubbing or peacock or ostrich herl near the hook eye on a very small fine wire hook (size 20-22) for an emerging mosquito id add a wisp of cdc top and bottom and for an adult i'd probably just use a very small griffith's gnat. with that said many of the midge and buzzer patterns will work in their small sizes. Think black beauties, smoke jumpers, disco midge WD-40

1 light and 1 dark moose mane hair for the body and peacock herl thorax

google should have lots of patterns

The classic Mosquito fly

Tail: Grizzly hackle fibers

Body: One light and one dark moose mane hair, wrapped side by side. (You can substitute a black thread body with a white thread rib.)

Wing: Grizzly hackle tips, upright

Hackle: Grizzly

I like the California Mosquito better for a midge immitation. It's the same as above but with the wings tied over the body instead of upright. Sometimes it's tied with a red tail.

...it's just hard to tie the pattern small enough to actually represent a mosquito. It is an effective fly, though, and well worth having in your fly box.

For the larva, a thread midge in tan or cream would come close. That could be done on a size 20 or 22 and be close. The thing is, though, that mosquitoes live in still (usually stagnant) water. Not prime fishing habitat....

Last mid summer i caught a nice amount of grayling on 14-16# parachute Adams, next morning, sunny, they diddn't want to now about it! Was doing my head in! Grayling big & small were only interested in something so small that i had nothing with me like that! Would have to be something in the 20's, only grey thread with a little spot of dubbing behind the eye maybe?

Midges and mosquitoes are virtually identical through all stages of their life cycles so any midge pattern (properly sized of course) will work for a mosquito. There are no shortages of patterns for midges.

Little mosquito larva look like little twitching worms, I'd use a blood worm variant, simple versions are just thread tied around a hook

Here is my personal opinion about "mosquito" flies.

I hear about mosquito flies and I used to carry mosquito flies. But in all honesty, mosquitos are a still water insect and do not live in streams but in the bogs and wetlands next to streams and rivers. So how do fish such as trout ever get many mosquitos to feed on? Mosquitos don't lay eggs in moving water. So I tnink any mosquito that is on moving water is there by accident. They certainly are not emerging or egg laying.

I think anglers who think the fish are feeding on mosquitos are often fooled by midges or other aquatic insects and not mosquitos. Here's what I get when I Google "fly fishing the mosquito hatch." I think mosquitos are so infrequentely eaten by trout that a specific fly the imitates a mosquito is probably taken out of curiosity or as some other food item.

There is no mosquito "hatch" to fish since they don't emerge from streams and they do not lay eggs in streams.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fly+fishing+the+mosquito+hatch