Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

I have been doing a lot of research into getting an 8 wt rod. I have narrowed it down to a TFO BVK and a Redington Vapen. Any thoughts on either or any other good contenders? I will be using it for carp, bass, red fish and small strippers.

I can't report on the Vapen but I have had Redington's CPS, CPX and Link rods as well as the TFO BVK. All were nice with the CPS being my favorite.

Both companies have excellent warranty service, so you can't go wrong with either company.

I have the vapen black and red, 7 and 9 wts respectively. I am a huge fan of them, I will probably pick a couple more weights, 3 and 5. They are nice and speedy, also I really like the grips.

Why not talk to Steve (steeldrifter) and let him know just what you're looking for in a rod. Where you like the the flex and how much power you need. He'll build you a custom rod nicer than any of them and probably save you money to boot.

The problem I'm having is that i don't have any fly shops around me with the exception of Orvis, so i am unable to try different rods out. I have been considering just getting a Orvis for the fact the i can go to the store and try them out. Ive heard good things about the Recon.

Pretty much a push. Both good companies and good rods. I generally like Redington better than TFO, because overall I prefer their action, but both rods mentioned good choices. Neither rod, however, are heavy lifting rods like the Redington Predator or TFO Mangrove, so you might want to expand your model search a bit before deciding, depending on structure you fish and size of target species.

I second going custom. You can get a Helios quality rod for what you would pay for the redington or tfo plus have it customized for your needs. I like matrix blanks.

Went out yesterday and was testing out some new patterns and new rods. Have to say my vapen red 9wt will chuck some meat. I was throwing some assorted 9-14" flies with gusto, up to 70' with minimum effort. Also just look out for sales on certain items. I got both my vapen black 7wt and my vapen red 9wt for $200/each on sale compared to the $350/each retail.