Fly Tying
flytire

have you ever had....

One time I was walking up a larger stream and I came to gorge with sheer slate walls, which generally are incredibly slippery and full of nice sharp pungees, and the side of the stream I was on was impassible around the gorge. So I decided to go back downstream and cross on fallen tree I had seen. Turned out that wasn't such a good idea either, the bark came off under my feet and it was just rotten slimy wood underneath and I face-planted on the log and rolled into stream. That was the only time I ever took a digger into the water, but I've bashed myself up pretty good trying to get to the water several times, fell through the ice, and fell through floating moss on a bog (which was by far the most terrifying experience of my life, you will never catch me walking on sphagnum moss again).

When I was younger and more adventurous, several times. Now that I'm, um... over 60, I wade a lot more carefully, and always have a wading staff. A sit-down in water like that isn't too dangerous, if you have your wading belt adjusted correctly.

My worst episode was about 20 years ago. I had lug sole hip waders, and stepped on a moss covered rock while wading hear my depth limit. It took only seconds for those waders to fill with ice water. I couldn't stand back up, because of the weight, and had to crawl out of the stream, pealing the boots down as I came out of the water. It wasn't long after that, that I got my first pair of felt soled chest waders.

I was wet wading in a stream in WV this past week at dusk as to throw some meat for some browns. Miscalculated my crossing point, the stream narrowed and got to about hip deep, ~36" and swept me off my feet rather quickly. Luckily my long arm kept me from going completely under in the 38 degree water. Still a fun time. Fishing will keep you on your toes... that is for sure

I do a whoop-de-do every couple of years but rarely get soaked. The last time I went really deep was a number of years ago during the fall when I was with a buddy on a smaller stream in which I managed to find the only spot over my head. Got out ok but by the time I found him and got back to his car I was borderline hypothermic. Took a couple of days to warm up. At my age I should be using a wading staff but it is like when you are too proud to use reading glasses, you put it off as long as possible.

Steve