Fly Tying
flytire

another have you ever had....

...one of those days

DSCN2219(1).jpg

ouch

i had one in my palm of my hand and one in my cheek

use the mono method of removal in the palm and cut off the barb and backed it out for the cheek

(photo from the interweb)

I remember my first hook accident when I was 4, and I wasn't even fishing at the time. I have had several flies in me that required a mono loop removal. The first time I tried the mono loop extraction was more than 30 years ago on some one else. It worked the first time I tried it, and the other person never even felt the hook come out. The trick is not to be timid with the snap/pull when you pop the hook out.

Last fall, I had to teach someone how to do this with a large hook in my thumb is not fun, they usually pull too slowly. After the first couple of tries, they usually get it. The third try worked fine, and I continued to fish the rest of the day.

Many years ago (40 some,) I hooked my girlfriend with two hooks of a treble hook. Got her in the side of the head. It was close to her eye, and required a trip to the emergency room 25 miles away to remove that one. After all that she still agreed to marry me. She still puts up with my tying and fishing, but she doesn't fish any more.

Take a deep breath...grit your teeth...and then razor blade the finger to get the fly out....hackle is just too expensive to take a chance of ruining a good fly

We could pick on you a little and suggest that you should have mashed the barb...

yup that sure stings a bit. I put a 2/0 B10S in my thumb last year.....

Fun times!

post-32306-0-18647600-1428948164_thumb.jpg

I got hit in the back on the shoulder by a very heavily weighted tungsten bead head wooly bugger I was casting with my 7 weight last year when a very strong gust of wind altered its course. It hurt like hell and left a monster bruise. I also got hit in the cheek by a smaller bead head nymph two years ago under similar circumstance but it didn't really hurt too much or leave a mark.

I have never been fully hooked though. Pierced yes but not hooked.

I had one to the barb recently and did the mono trick. Hurt like hell. Maybe I wasn't quick or violent enough but I might have pulled it with needlenose for how it felt, and it was just a little hook at that.

I whacked myself in the neck last week with a shad fly but luckily it dug into my croakies and not my flesh.

Don't forget your hats and glasses ladies and gentlemen.

I haven't hooked or pierced myself yet out on the water, have stabbed myself many times at the vice though. Had a couple close calls though but with quick head movements I have avoided hooking myself or having other people hook me

yup that sure stings a bit. I put a 2/0 B10S in my thumb last year.....

Fun times!

Oh my God I think I'm gonna puke! That pic is N-A-S-T-Y! How in the world did you get such a big hook so deep???

You should NOT do the mono snap pull on yourself ever. Find someone else to do it if the hook is in you. No matter what count you do the snap, you will anticipate it, and flinch. If this mono snap pull removal is done RIGHT, you won't feel it until after the hook is out. When I do this on someone else, I have them look at something else, and snap-pull just before I say three. If they are looking elsewhere, it eliminates then reacting to your motion.

There is a second important part of this removal technique that I haven't mentioned. The hook eye should be depressed downward as the snap pull is made. That way, the bend will be pulled back and up, and the barb will follow along in line with the hook. Almost no tearing as the barb passes back out.

Like I said, I have done it successfully several times, and had it done on me two or three times. Each time, I had to teach the second person how to do it right. The time last fall was when I was surf fishing, and I had a 2 foot Ladyfish hanging off the other hook on the lure. I had left my plyers back in the car, and the person who tried to cut off the barb didn't have strong enough pliers. He had to first back the split ring out of the hook so we could drop the lure and the fish. Only then could I show him how to snap-pull the hook out. The first two times, he just pulled, which didn't do much but cause some pain. The third time he got the snap-pull right and the hook was out before I knew it.

I rubbed my thumb down with an alcohol wipe, and kept on fishing. After that is when I removed ALL the treble hooks from my ALL my casting plugs and lures. Now all my surf spoons, have flies tied to short leaders on the back. My plugs have a single hook on the rear end only.

I've only got three stories of hooks sets and near losses. I thought we went through this recently, but I can't find the earlier thread.

Hook set one: Caught a fish (pickerel or gar, I can't remember which) with a crankbait full of trebles. Trying to get the hook out without grabbing the fish and it flipped and buried a barb in my thumb. I started up and motored towards the ramp because I didn't have pliers with me. Pulled up to another boat and they had a pair, so I pushed the barb through and cut it off. Pulled the hook out and continued fishing the rest of the day.

Hook set two: I was leaning into my van, didn't notice that a long shank, size 8 bait hook (brother-n-law's rod) was hanging down from the rod. Firmly stuck it completely through the top of my ear. Because of it's location, I couldn't see what I was doing, so I couldn't cut the barb off. I was at the ramp to go fishing, and fortunately, an older couple came driving by. I flagged them down, showed them the hooked and asked them to remove it. The old man didn't know what to do, so I explained what I wanted. I should mention ... this hook still had bits of worm on it. It was hurting like mad ... and I was just about to ask what was going on when he said, "There, I hope I never have to do that again!"

He hadn't listened. He had pulled the whole hook shaft ... eye and knot ... through my ear. Took about 6 weeks to heal.

Near loss ... I was fishing with a spinning rod and reel, using a 1 inch Rapala to catch Bream. The lure was snagged in an overhanging limb. When I snapped the rod to free it, it flew right at me. Knocked one of the lenses out of my sunglasses. If I hadn't had them on, I've no doubt it would've pinned my eyelid to my eye. When ihang said, "... Don't forget your hat and glasses ..." this is what it saves.

just yesterday i got a hook stuck deep in my thumb. thank goodness it was barbless. one when my dad was a kid, he got a 6/0 bass hook stuck in his nose from a friends backcast. required a trip to the hospital. grandma was not very happy