Fly Tying
GabPamgea

Pardo & CDC SBS (tutorial video)

Very nice!

But also a very laborious fly.

A few questions:

Why tie wings as the wings are buried in the CDC and partridge hackle?

Why use touch dubbing method when you roll the dubbing with your fingers afterwards?

Why not hackle a CDC feather after the cock hackle? Might result in less cdc fibers trapped under the cock hackle.

Good tutorial and video but I'm with ibookje on the tie. I know I'd do some things differently myself but yours is going to catch you nice fish during hatch. You use the word variant and that meant longer hackle in old days. I know I'd use shorter hackle and make an easier tie of the whole thing, but I'm lazy these days.

Nice pattern but I find myself in agreement with ibookj; "laborious" in the tying.

Let me qualify my comments by saying that I production tie flies like this for sale. I have to be efficient in my tying. Being efficient means using less materials and tying faster. Not by cutting corners, just by not doing the unnecessary things. I would be looking to tie this fly at a rate of a dozen, or more, an hour. I couldn't using your tying methods.

I may be mistaken but it looks as though you have speeded up the video in parts. There is no commentary on what you are doing, which can slow down the process. In other words this is a video of you just tying the fly. Yet it is still over 10 minutes long.

In the title you said "Tutorial Video". As an instructor I couldn't recommend your video for teaching. If you wish I will give a detailed explanation.

Cheers,

C.

I think it's a beautiful tye with a bunch of fish catching qualities. If you're not production tying, I don't see the need to fill boxes with dry flies as you rarely loose them at the rate you loose nymphs. In which case, spending 15 minutes tying a dry fly doesn't seem bad to me - but then again I just like spending time at the vise. I'd love half a dozen of these in my fly box...may have to pick up one of those magic tools..

Maybe Gab can make a new video with time saving alterations of this fly? This way the fly design changes are limited yet it save time and maybe also material costs (like the wings)?

So what do you think Gab?

I like that pattern because instead of the standard static dry fly pattern, it incorporates movement on the surface by the use of the cdc and soft hackle. I will be putting a few of these in my dry fly box as I can see the benefits of the materials selected and used in this pattern.

F.Y.I. I have no trouble understanding and using the video as a tutorial for tying this fly.

Well done. But I'll have to agree that it seems a bit over the top. I don't ever recall ever seeing so many different techniques employed in one fly before. The video itself is well done. I like your choice of music and use of subtitles. I would be interested in seeing more of your videos in the future.

Hi

first of all thanks everybody watching my tutorial.

I'll try to answer everybody please excuse me for my english and if i'll forget someone! smile.png

- Pattern Time

I'm not tying flies for selling them, i'm just a consultant for some brands (Gamakatsu and Vision) in Italy and i work on the vise just for fun and (of course) fishing too. Is not a problem (just my opinion) spending few time longer on the vise with some pattern.

- Wings

It seems like you can't see the wings (lot of material in the thorax) but once in water the fly will have a different aspect and works very well too. I use this fly searching the trout in small streams in early season.

- Dubbing

I use thise method twisting the dubbing and using the fingers after only with natural fur. I love the way tha twisting natural dubbing create a perfect tapered body. I know that this take a longer time working with dubbing....but is not a problem, just for pleasure. smile.png

-Tutorial

It's true i use high velocity in some videos. I've slower videos (not in english, i'm sorry, i'll work on them); i want to give the opportunity to watch videos faster then usually you can see on YouTube. I know that not everybody should like this, i'm sorry about that. sad.png

- CDC after cock

I prefer to hackle the cdc before the cock because i want all the fibers of cdc stay in front of the fly, using the firs turn of cock as "gate" for cdc. I hope you can understand what i mean.

I don't like "static" pattern i always try to give some movement to my flies (as possible, of course!)

I hope that i answered any doubt or question that you have, so reply me is not a problem.

All The best

I am not a great fan of dubbing wax, probably because I'm not very good at applying it properly, but I do like using the touch dubbing technique with it to apply certain kinds of dubbing to the thread before twisting it on since I saw it done in a book many years ago. I can make a much tighter and more evenly tapered body doing it that way than by just teasing out the dubbing and twisting it on the thread. It doesn't work well with all types dubbing, though.

Joe

- CDC after cock

I prefer to hackle the cdc before the cock because i want all the fibers of cdc stay in front of the fly, using the firs turn of cock as "gate" for cdc. I hope you can understand what i mean.

'CDC stay in front of the fly'?

You wrap 3 turns of CDC hackle behind the wings and 2 in front of the wing and then wrap 2 turns of cock hackle behind the wings and 3 in front of the wings. This basically traps 2/3rd of the CDC hackle at the back of the wings.

No, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve here… :)