Fly Tying
TableGrouch

Favorite Fly for "Swinging" Steelhead

I've done a fair amount of steelhead fishing on Great Lakes tribs, but always dead drifting nymphs and egg patterns. I'm making a trip soon, and intend to make my first effort swinging with a switch rod on one of the larger rivers. I'm looking for some suggestions for patterns that would be more effective fished this way than my usual assortment of stones, hexes and eggs.

What would be a favorite pattern or two for you to fish this way. All ideas are appreciated (especially with a picture or recipe). Thanks.

Any intruder with bright contrasting colors especially blue, chartreuse, pink and....lots of flash too.

post-35746-0-42162300-1429737710_thumb.jpg

Thanks much Shoebop. That is the kind of stuff I need. My box is pretty drab with just a hint of flash or color in most the nymphs.

P.S. Very nice ties (and family!).

Not my family. I got the image from the web. I believe that's April Vokey at the vise. I wish she was family!

Think it had the flygals thing in the corner. Check April on youtube for some step by steps.

Also look at the rusty rat family and some of the UK flies like stoat tail, hairy Mary and thunder and lightening for flies that will all swing well.

Last week I caught 2 on Michigan's Dowagiac River swinging. When I asked the guide the name of the fly he said it was a "Found Fly". That's because he found it the day before. He had caught some steelhead on it so he had me try it. It looked similar to Senyo's Al Intruder.

Not my family. I got the image from the web. I believe that's April Vokey at the vise. I wish she was family!

Too funny! I thought that was her.

Hadn't heard of those but like the look of the burlap. Be removing some potatoe sacks to my shed

Check with the Trinty Fly Shop inCalifornia. They are experts in traditional fly patterns for Steelies. Mostly Beads are fished under a indicator for them along with a Rubber Legs. Hooks plenty of fish, but not half the fun as swinging a "real" fly

Wooly buggers, egg sucking leaches, bunny flies are all easy to tie and very effective. Pink/purple/black and any combo of these for colors with a little added flash. Olive/white and black/olive work good on my home river when water is clear. Anything with wiggle and flash usually works. Green butt skunk, Krystal skunk, comets, zonkers all have a spot in my fly box as well.

Well I don't think you are getting the answer you are looking for. In addition to fly fishing I use other methods and maybe that sometimes gives a different perspective. You can use a Mepps type spinner and cast it across stream and keep a tight line and just let it swing like a door with the current. If the current is strong enough it will rotate the spinner blade. The idea is to position things such that this spinner swings right in front of the waiting fish. It works very well.

On a fly I think you can do the same thing and a half hitch is made over the head on the fly to get it angled better. I think the half hitch might also cause the fly to flutter a little as it swings. Some streamers years ago were tied with side feathers that splayed out a little so if you "danced" the fly these feathers moved in and out like gills.

I think the better fly might be something gaudy, tinsel body, etc. I don't think an egg pattern would work because eggs just go with the current, only a small fish would be moving around so the fly probably ought to mimic that.

Good subject- I too would like to hear from anyone that has successfully used a pattern in this manner.