Fly Tying
robow7

Question on Hook Shank Length and Leverage

Do you feel that fish can shed a long shank hook during the fight easier than a relatively shorter shank hook? I have heard people say that the longer shank hook provides greater leverage for the fish to be able to dislodge vs. a shorter shank hook. I was also told that's why many salt water hooks for larger species are surprisingly shorter yet have a wide gap. I have no idea whether any of this is true and was curious as to your thoughts on the matter. I've been tying a lot of streamer flies lately on size 4 4xl long shank hook and it seems (maybe coincidentally) that I'm losing a lot fish. Now I realize that it's human nature to look for a causal effect relationship even when none exists.

Here's the hook in question. As always, thank you for your input.

1456.Jpg

Absolutely. That's why so many of us tie articulated streamers... It is kind of a fad right now I guess... Lol... But using two short shanked hooks and still getting the length gives the fish less leverage that a long shanked hook. Kinda like how a shorter rod also gives the fish less leverage.

Robo7 - I tie smelt patterns on 8X long shanks and don't think they are a disadvantage or that I lose many fish because of shank length.

If a fish is hooked in the lip there is no "fulcrum" point to create leverage. Unless the fish jumps opens it mouth and the hook shank crosses the mouth allowing the mid-shank section of the hook to rest in the opposite corner of the fish's mouth there is no leverage.

I like the long shank hook for streamers and think long skinny patterns bring me more hookups - if I lose an occasional fish to the long odds that the hook gets crosswise in a fish's mouth so be it.

Rotorflytyingdotcom,

My focus is on Smallmouth bass which tend to be heavier, stronger, and probably put up a much greater fight than a smelt, so I wonder if we're comparing apples to oranges here.

I have been almost exclusively fishing for smallmouth for well over a decade. I can certainly say I have lost more than a few fishing due to longer shank hooks especially if it has a conehead or dumbell eyes. I now prefer shorter shanks and wider gaps. Smallmouth very rarely short strike a fly so you can generally get away with the same length fly on a shorter shank.

Robo7, Sorry I wasn't very clear. When I said 8X smelt patterns I meant 8X long imitations of the baitfish called smelt - as in Gray Ghost or Blue Smelt streamer patterns.

I tie both of those and use both for Landlocked Salmon which is a fairly hard fighting fish. The long shank hasn't been an issue.

Losing fish is a fact of life, but when fighting fish, especially big fish, I would rather have a wide-gaped short shanked hook than a long shanked hook any day. This is one of the key advantages of articulated and tube patterns, as mentioned, as well as motion and the ability to tie very large flies without having to use equally long hooks.

What I've seen fish do with a long shanked hook and a portion of it sticking out of their mouth is to swim up to a rock and run headfirst into the rock to drive the hook back and pop the barb out. Then they'll do a quick roll and open their mouth to let the long shank hook pop out. I've particularly seen steelhead do this since they seem to be farther along the intellectual development scale on the evolution charts.

Vicrider...AKA...Man of many little known truths...

Vic ... that's one behavior trait I've not seen. But I have seen one Large Mouth Bass knock a lure right out of another's mouth. I know (or I think I know) that you're joking, but I am not. And I know this has nothing to do with the subject ... but it did happen.
I was fishing conventional gear, with a soft plastic lure, weightless. The water in this lake (unlike most in Florida) is particularly clear. A large bass, probably about 4 pounds rushed from the reeds and inhaled the lure and the fight was on.
I had it hooked pretty good, in the upper lip. It would attempt to spit the lure out, and another bass, about twice it's size, would rush up and try to take the "food" away. I could see all of this, and I was freaking out ... How do I catch the bigger one? How do I catch the nice one I have on, and not spook the other one?
About the time I had to think that, the big bass made one more try at the exhaled lure and wham! hit the smaller one so hard it turned it sideways. Out popped the hook, the lure tore off and the larger one slurped it in. Then spit it out.
I tried everything I could, and it wouldn't come out and hit anything else that day.
I'd forgotten all about that little adventure until just now. Thank you for bringing it back to mind, Vic.

I posted this explanation on a thread about the purpose of tube flies ... check out post #13.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80152&hl=%2Blong+%2Bshank+%2Bhooks&do=findComment&comment=612870

I've lost several fish to long shank hooks over the years. Not so much with 3 or 4 XL. Definitely with 6 XL. Still use 3 or 4 XL for some patterns. The 6 XL I was using for fresh water style Pencil Poppers. Articulated shanks and other jig making wires have take over for them. The option I like since I'm using a split ring, I can use either single, double or treble hooks with them depending on my mood.

Hal Janssen, a California Outdoor Hall of Fame member, states in one of his videos that he never uses a hook longer than 3X on his leech patterns. The reason is the same as what others have said. Longer hook shanks give the fish leverage to dislodge the fly.