Fly Tying
flyguy613

first try - zug bug

I Iike it.

Proportions are things that come with time.

I have been tying for just over 12 months now and my whole box is occupied by flies I have tied. Although they are not all to proportion I still love the feeling of a trout taking a fly I have tied!!! I can also take some credit for the trout caught by my wife and nephew!!!

Cheers

VB1971.

Oh yeah, it's an eater! To all who are tying tonight for a trip tomorrow, please get a good night's sleep and don't obsess on the vise till 3:00 am!

Good luck tomorrow and welcome to the community!

It's great to see how I have progressed in fly tying, this post was from may this year. I've come along way since then after spending alot of time on the vise, still in my first year of tying can't wait to see where it goes

Progress is good here too for the most part. The fly "proportion" thing and "crowding the eye" especially is something that has been kicking my butt a bit. I tied a bunch of midges with bead heads that look great (simple to tie too). Last night I tried a pheasant tail nymph on a curved and it'll catch fish but I need to "STAY BACK" away from the eye.

Any tips out there? I watched a YouTube video last night and the tier kept an eye's length of the hook shank clear for the purpose of a nice neat head. PRACTICE is what I need...lots of time at the vise.

But that said, the Zug Bug looks good flyguy613 !! Did it catch many fish?

Many years ago when I used to fish Fall River in Northern California the Zug Bug was a "go to" fly for that stream. The Fly Shop in Redding was probably the biggest supplier of Zug Bugs for that stream. When I bought some from them (I didn't tie at that time), their flies used olive marabou for the tail instead of peacock. The guy I talked to in the store swore that the marabou tail made the fly more productive. I can't say one way or another which fly was more effective since this was a long time ago. I'm just offering an alternative approach to tying the fly if someone wants to experiment with it.

Many years ago when I used to fish Fall River in Northern California the Zug Bug was a "go to" fly for that stream. The Fly Shop in Redding was probably the biggest supplier of Zug Bugs for that stream. When I bought some from them (I didn't tie at that time), their flies used olive marabou for the tail instead of peacock. The guy I talked to in the store swore that the marabou tail made the fly more productive. I can't say one way or another which fly was more effective since this was a long time ago. I'm just offering an alternative approach to tying the fly if someone wants to experiment with it.

That's interesting! During the short time I've been involved with reading/watching/tying/fishing flies, it's a no brainer that peacock herl is a fish magnet. The shinier the better I imagine. The original Zug Bug pattern's tail used the peacock sword fibers. I've tied a bunch of flies for my son and I to use at the lake we live by and used marabou for tails and the fish whacked many a fly. That material moves nicely in water. So as I see it, try anything to see what works for you. There are so many patterns that are variations of the originals it's hard to keep track. Maybe the tail material on those flies isn't as critical with the use of the attractive herl in the body. But hey - if it catches fish, tie one onto your tippet.