Fly Tying
troutguy

Dyeing at home

I've never used Koolaid (too much sugar :-) but I have read somewhere that if you mix two flavors, the result might not be what you expected via the color wheel. If you mix yellow and red dye, you should get orange. If you blend say lemon and cherry, you're liable to get green (but like I say I haven't tried it). Single color (flavor) dye jobs should work OK though. Maybe the fish like sugar.

I thought packets of Kool-Aid do not have any sugar in them. You have to add that with the water. That's always been the draw of them for parents ... they can control how much sugar the kids are getting.

Whatever... I always found Koolaid to be too sweet (as mixed per the pkg instructions)... much preferred Crystal Light. But I don't know if Crystal Light can be used as a dye.

Try beet juice. It'll stain just about anything permanently. Comes in several colors too.

I avoid Koolaid like the plague. There are so many better options that do not contain extra stuff that only clog up the cells and cause other problems. Any brand of Acid Dye will serve you better and will cost you less and will let you get more consist an results. A gallon of Vinager, Glubber salt and Synproll is all you need . For $30 you will have enough supplies to dye 100 of necks and tails. Check out Dram Tradin and look at their acid dyes and the instruction they have.