Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Ready to go, how about you

Preparing for my annual summer fishing trip. Like usual im heading out east to Ontario to do some pike, bass, and possibly salmon fishing!! Sadly i am only able to bring 1 maybe 2 boxes of flys. After a long process of going through every box and pulling out the best of the best, here is what i have wrangled together. Its going to be a great summer, i cant wait!! Where are you all planning on going fishing this summer??

post-44005-0-50253500-1432867062_thumb.jpg

Did you tie everything? Nice job if you did!

Thanks, Yup all tied. I don't think ive ever actually bough a fly in my life. If i want a certain fly, i just tye one up. Especially when it comes to pike flys!!

Going out to the westcoast of Norway to fish for Atlantic salmon in a couple of rivers, then a couple of my good spots for trout, and hopefully some seatrout fishing as well. After that we'll see, a bit of urban flyfishing in Oslo and the lakes around here.

Although I am not going "to fish" but for work ... I should be in the Sacramento area for three weeks in July. I'll be wetting a line out there both weekends.

Hopefully, there will still be some water to fish in.

that is an amazing assortment of flies. i'm just getting into tying pike flies, and yours are great for inspiration.

I'd love to see an SBS on that realistic looking crawdad or mudbug or crayfish or whatever you call them up there. Nice kit to take with for variety for sure.

that is an amazing assortment of flies. i'm just getting into tying pike flies, and yours are great for inspiration.

Thanks. I cant wait to use them this summer!!

Where did you get your popper heads and how did you make them?

The heads are made out of balsa wood. Using a block of balsa, and a brass tube in the drill, i cut out cylinder bodies. After that it was just a matter of sanding the bodies down, making the faces slanted, and cutting a grove for the hook. Than just a bit of airbrushing to make them look good, and 2 coats of epoxy to give them bullet proof bodies with a nice shine.

I'd love to see an SBS on that realistic looking crawdad or mudbug or crayfish or whatever you call them up there. Nice kit to take with for variety for sure.

Thanks. The crayfish aren't anything special. They bodies are "fish skull crawbodies". I picked up a pack a while ago so i could trace them down and make an outline so i could make my own. There are alot of tutorials on the web making them. They are rather easy to tye and the result gives to a pretty realistic looking crayfish.