Fly Tying
Piker20

Smoking your catch

Anyone smoke (warm) their catch. I'm really looking for folk who built their own, barrel style or cabinet type.

What did you do?

What would you do different.

What tips regarding distance from heat source to fish do you have?

How long did you find it best to leave the pellicle before smoking?

When I wrap my catch in cigarette paper, it gets wet and won't light :-)

Actually I like to smoke tuna/mackerel but I have a weber smoker my wife gave me years back. I remember seeing Alton Brown creating a makeshift smoker one time on TV... I bet there are some posted on youtube.

The weber 'bullet' style one? How do you find it? For 4 fish approx 3-4lb how long does it need and how many refills do you find you need?

There are several bullet style smokers/grills quite cheap here but I'm always worried you get what you pay for.

If (warm) smoking is the same as dry smoking? Find a old fridge, cut out the bottom & lay bricks a few levels high & put a 6" clay pipe 2.5-3metres long to a fire place = steelbox! Cut a hole in the top of the back wall of the fridge & make a chimney for the smoke to get out! Save stainless racks, good to hold fish upside down! Good wood is silver birch, if you know someone getting rid of a plumb tree? Save all the wood! Light fire, once warm, put fish for 30min! Redfin is beautiful! Salt fish, then put some butter & dill where the guts were, then smoke, yum! I hope you understand!?

Why does the fridge need bottom removing?

I like the idea of that as lots of fridges at the local refuse place. Even upright freezer would be available. Ummm ideas ideas.

An old -- before carp were actually caught on purpose -- smoking recipe was to pin carp fillets to a cedar plank and mount the plank at an angle over a hickory smoke fire for 3-4 hours, Then throw away the carp and eat the plank.

Nothing moves large oily bluefish well into the edible range like smoking them.

Alder wood is the best for fish IMO. It also makes killer smoked turkeys.

Rocco

Alder wood? Is this the same alder that we would have here in UK or something you guys call alder?

Rocco... that's the way some Caribbean islanders cook their jerk pork... on an oak plank.

Piker... mine is mostly like the Weber 721001 but is old and probably a different model (I'm in NC right now and my smoker is in Florida). You can do lots of stuff with it. One trick if you're smoking pork is to put your beans or other veggies on the shelf below the meat and let the juice drip into them.

I doubt if you could fail at this. Get a cardboard box, 2' wd. x 3' ht. Cut an access door in the high side. place a flat stone inside on bottom. Get a small cast iron pan 10"x2". Start A small wood fire in it. Put some charcoal briquettes on it and allow to burn well. Place some small chopped seasoned hardwood on it after soaking it in water for 1/2hr.This you will place on top of the stone when the rest of the box is finished. Poke some holes in the bottom and in the top. Get some 1/2" rebar wide enough to stick out on either side at the top, allowing room for a grate on which you place fish till completely smoked. But really the simplest is made from a lower kitchen cabinet, the type with door on the bottom and drawer on top. Cut out the draw bottom and replace with stucco wire, chicken wire you get it. Fasten to the bottom of draw. Place a piece of plywood on top, drill some holes under it if necessary and use the same procedure for the fire pan.

Piker20,

Not sure of its origins but I think it is from out West. The alders I have seen up north in the US were more like reeds. I'll do some research and get back to you.

I used to buy mine packaged at the super market. It was stocked right next to the mesquite chips.

Regards,

Rocco

forgot to add this bit, you may also find this book out there, "The Easy Art of Smoking".

Piker20.

Western red alder is a tree growing to 75' The NW Indian tribes first used it to smoke their salmon.The eastern stuff is a weed in comparison.

It is available on Amazon.

Rocco

Careful Colin, you could have just broadcast to the world that you are about to break the law! If you want to use an old fridge, you can't just let the gas out.

The best solution for cold smoked is the fishmonger in the village. Hot is easily done at home, of course you want warm! Can't really help you there.

If you do get set up then I may be able to supply you chippings and dust. I'll sweep the lathe down before and after when I get bowl blanks.

Cheers,

C.

You cut the bottom out & run the clay pipe into thebrick work underneath, gives you more shelves to do a big smoke! No chips or nothing in this model, just smoke from the fire that can only get out through the fridge were the fish are! Million recepies out there, salmon with honey & chilli is big here, also salmon with blue cheese, but not really my cup of tea!