Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
william anderson

Pheasant Tail Nymph - per Frank Sawyer

All wire - not thread ... right?

I had someone look over my shoulder guiding my through tying a pheasant tail nymph like that once... many moons ago. I've never done it again lol!

Those should work nicely I'd think!

Yes, the fly is tied tail, abdomen amd wing case all from the same few herl fibers. Underbody of wire creating a bulge thorax and then to the bend. Trap the pheasant tail herl and bend to create the tail, twist these fibers around the wire and bring this up to the thorax, bring the wire to the eye and trap the remainder of the herl lengths behind the eye, bring the wire back behind the thorax, pull the herl back to begin the wing case, trap it behind the thorax and bring the wire back behind the eye, bring the herls back again to the eye, trap it and bring the wire back behind the wing case one last time, being the herls back over the wing case and trap it behind the thorax for the last time. Whip finish behind the wing case and trim herl waste.

I've had a couple days fishing this season when my fishing buddy and we ask ourselves why do we even tie anything else. This was all they wanted. You can't count on that or anything else, but it's a very effective pattern and as you say, Sawyer's technique is very impressive in its simplicity. It ticks all the boxes.

Sorry for all the typos. I was trying to write the above response from my phone and it alway amazes me how much trouble I have doing that.

I tie this pattern to different profiles and in three sizes 16,14 and 12, but this is basically the construction. Sawyer was imitating a particular species on his water, and his ties were typically a bit more slender than this particular tie. You can vary the amount of wire to help determine how far it will sink and to alter the profile. This one is how I have tied it most often.

DSC_0667_zpsyjjkgcul.jpg

Not a problem regarding the iphone typing.

What is amazing is that there are 2 components! Wire and pheasant tail! ( I should say or use . (period!).) The wire provides the weight that gets it down which is pretty critical i think.

(sighs) .. ok.. man you got me thinking I got to revisit this and try to tie some of these 'next' tying season! lol.. THANKS.. a LOT.. lol

But they look so goooood!

Thank you. I hope you'll report back once you get these on the water. My tying has always been very simple, North Country Spiders and flymphs, etc, and this fly just makes me happy. I have been fishing it on point with a soft-hackle fly as a dropper about 18" above on a 12-14' leader. Fishing this season have been a real struggle with most of my outings plagued by low water and very bright days. But those times when it's all working, it's been very very good.