Fly Tying

Put that rod in a plastic pipe just incase you have to check it in! I wouldn't trust any rod tube, buy the thick plastic water pipe from the hardware shop, couple of caps & gaff tape, 3 rods in their socks will fit in 90mm, for your 1 rod, some 60mm or smaller & wrap some clothing around the rod! If you ring the airline to ask? You don't want to hear someone say, yeh it should be ok?

A couple of years ago I wanted to take a 9' 7 piece rod on a domestic flight, in my hand luggage. The airline told me that it would have to go hold baggage for security reasons, and then would incur an additional charge as "sporting goods". The cost was almost twice what the ticket cost. I sent the rod ahead through the post at a fraction of the cost.

When I arrived for the flight I spoke with airport security. They told me that there is no problem with a rod, and that the airline was using security as an excuse to generate more revenue.

Check with the airport security, if they are ok with an item, and it is within the size limits then you should just take it. Especially if it will fit inside hand baggage.

Cheers,

C.

Where are you flying? Here in Canada it's free to carry them on as a carry on, I do it all the time working in Manitoba living on the east last. You can even carry smaller hooks in your carry on aswell. I had hook sizes up to #4 and they just said as long as they weren't too big. Never did tell me the size that would be too big.

I travel often with my fly rods. I have 4 piece rods that I put in a tube and put it in my hiking backpack. I will carry on my backpack with reels, leaders and sometimes waders. Most airlines allow a carry on and a personal item. I have flown Frontier, Delta, and Southwest. The only time I had issues was flying Air Mexico. I was fine traveling all the way to Baja with two rod tubes, but on the return they tried to make me check the rods. Got lucky that I didn't. Also some of the larger rod tubes (orvis) you can fit 2 5weights in. I always print TVA regs and bring them with me and I have called and got clarification from the actual airlines before. It is always a chance and I know a lot of guys who ship their gear to their destinations.

I always bring a fly rod with when I travel. I have a 7.5' 4 piece 4 weight, and a 9' 5 piece 7 weight that will fit into my wheeled duffel. I used to carry my reels in my carry on till I was forced to check it as baggage at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. The airport personel there looked at the fly line as a threat. They thought it would be possible to tye up the pilot and copilot with fly line and take over the plane. Or something like that.

Mark

I have flown Delta, Air Transport and Frontier with no issues. Air Mexico was okay on the way to my destination, then pulled some b.s. On the way back. After being as nice as I could and not hitting the ticket agent over the head with the rod tube; he finally let me carry it on. I typically carry 2 4piece rods in each tube. I will do one tube per person in my group. I have actually carried on everything, but my streamers before.

Thought Id talk about my recent experience flying delta to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood from Atlanta. On the way down I had no problems. No one stopped me or questioned me or tried to make me check my rods(carried on 5 in a long box). However the flight back was a whole nother story. I was stopped not one but 3 times by the same lady at the same place. I was then stopped another 4 times on the way to the gate and twice boarding the plane. It worked out though, got all 5 on and home safely.

I've flown with my 4 piece 5 weight a few times and haven't had any problems. I just attached it to my waist back as part of my carry-on.