Fly Tying
Frank G. Swarner III

Snag Free Delights

Frank, those are great! Chris has some other really good patterns on his website that can be adopted for other types of fishing.

VMC makes a hook similar to that DOA hook mentioned. I suspect the DOA hook may be this VMC hook relabeled.

Model # 6319, and it does have a longer front section that's easier to tie on.

Here's a fly I've tied with the VMC hook.

bassflies003a.jpg

Awesome flies! those would kill on the flats for snook and reds.

Tidewater, that is a killer one as well. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

It's very easy. I used clear mono thread. The body wrapped along the hook is Diamond braid or similar. The white belly hair is fox, I believe from the tip of the tail, the back hair is a small clump of dyed olive bucktail over some natural tan coyote tail hair. The bucktail was some finer hair from the back side of the tail.

The pink is a small clump I stripped from the base of a saddle hackle. (hot pink, ala Henry Cowen's flies)

There's some Polar Flash down each side, pearl I think.

The eyes were some 3-D I had, not sure what size.

The head on this fly was unfinished when I took the pic. It was to be epoxied later. Liquid Fusion or similar would work too.

This hook is either a 1/0 or 2/0, not sure. That should make the fly about 3 1/2" to 4" long.

Question for both you guys,

Do you find any need to add a bit of weight to the hook to keep it riding in the upright position or do you find it rides well without it?

Michael

p.s. definitely a fly I'll be tying for smallies and large mouths. I can even see it for stripers.

It rode true in the swim tank but that is not a real world test with current pushing on the side. These are for a friend who will be casting and stripping them in pike. I'm sure a little added wouldn't hurt when fishing in current.

Frank

That's what's great about this place....exchanging ideas. When I went to get hooks the Gamugatsu just didn't give me enough room to tie and be confident with good hook sets so I got a few varieties to bend myself....

75526465-4CDA-41BD-BE9F-EFC103FD00B2_zps

BDF95BCD-6747-4E0A-81BF-18CE4C73C1F4_zps