Fly Tying

Those bombers look interesting. Kinda like something we used to use for Atlantic Salmon. What style and size hook would be good for SMB?

Chuck, those are the same style that some use for Salmon. When I was tying commercially, I had some orders for Bombers, so decided to try them for SM. They're not a lot different than other deer hair flies popular for bass, so I tied them on 6, 4 & 2 size hooks. I'm sure they could be smaller or larger for targeting bass, depending on where your fishing, but these are the sizes I've used most. We have a tremendous "white fly" hatch in the area, & that white Bomber is perfect for that hatch.

I've tied & used Waller Wakers, Glitter Bugs & that Pink Deer Hair Wog for SM too. smile.png

Thanks so much Tidewaterfly. I was pleasantly surprised to see the bombers in your SMB arsenal. I often thought they might make good bass patterns and your post confirms it. Dead drifted or skated they provide a bold profile on top water and should make for some exciting action. Cheers.

If I might add my two cents. One thing I have found with Bombers and Smallies, tie the palmered hackle using Schlappen Feathers. They ad a huge amount of movement the a Bomber when you let it sit.

Michael

Brown beadhead Wooly bugger and olive and black circus peanut.

Also caught one on a moorish mouse a few weeks ago, that was fun.

Can't really say what my favorite fly is so far I guess I'm still looking and will be for quite some time. We're getting buckets of rain on this side of the pond. Rivers are out of shape so spent some time on the vise. Found this dredger pattern calling for a #4 salmon hook. Have a couple of boxes of them so got to it.

Although the pattern rides hook up I still like to add the weed guard saves me a lot of headaches in the rip rap. Hope this pattern proves to find a special spot in my box.

P6260012_zpszytktrzo.jpg

Both flies turned out to be a little over 3 inches in length. I played around with color combinations and will add more. Going to fish these on a sink tip and work the bottom structure.

P6260014_zpslwfo5jqa.jpg

Cheers Michael, I will do with the schlappen on the bombers. Got a fair amount in my material box and I'm excited to see what kind of a results I'll get.

Chuck, those look great! I call that type of fly a "creature" and like them a lot. Something that may imitate many things, but not necessarily anything specific. Reminds me of many of the soft plastic baits popular now for bass.

I posted some similar flies awhile back that I had tied for Redfish & Bass. Of course, fur strip tails really do seem to have a great deal of appeal to bass, so that's always a good material to use. So many flies & so little time. wub.png

wschmitt3, I've mentioned the Morrish Mouse too several times when others have asked about flies for bass, but have yet to actually tie or use them. IMO, it's another of those flies associated with other species that should also be considered a good choice as a bass fly. I've got to spend more time tying! laugh.png

Here's a few I had posted before. I would use them for both SM & LM bass, plus Redfish tied on an appropriate saltwater type hook. They all have either brass barbell eyes or bead chain eyes.

100_4943_zpsf344504d.jpg

100_4940_zps73b2f4a7.jpg

100_4910_zps4083812c.jpg

100_4906_zpsb02a3849.jpg

100_4907_zps12e0e2ce.jpg

100_4908_zps88b0ca5d.jpg

100_4900_zps0cea3b96.jpg

100_4746_zpsbea68a6d.jpg

100_4745_zps7566be8f.jpg

100_4744_zpsfdb8ad0b.jpg

100_4239A.jpg

100_4112.jpg

Those look great Tidewaterfly! Guess I could let my imagination run wild when it comes to color and material choices. I like the cactus chenille heads. Gives a broader profile and adds a little more flash. May try barring the strips with a marker as well. Thanks for sharing!

Chuck, the barred strips are dyed that way. I've tried using markers on some, but frankly don't like how it mats the hair, so I bite the bullet & buy the bar dyed or tip dyed rabbit strips.

Yep, there's no limit IMO on what can be done with this type of fly! smile.png

Chuck, the barred strips are dyed that way. I've tried using markers on some, but frankly don't like how it mats the hair, so I bite the bullet & buy the bar dyed or tip dyed rabbit strips.

Yep, there's no limit IMO on what can be done with this type of fly! smile.png

Thanks Tidewaterfly, yep found that out the hard way. The hair took the ink okay but couldn't get it back to it's original fullness no matter the brushing. Matted like you said. Only one strip so live and learn. Rabbit hair is so fine it appears like jelly in the water. No wonder it mats so easily. I'm onto the cactus chenille heads and have used the longer polar variety palmered along with the hackle. Nice effects! Wifey wants me to tie one up with the hook cut off at the bend so she can hang it off her tote bag.

I'm onto the cactus chenille heads and have used the longer polar variety palmered along with the hackle. Nice effects!

Yep, I too like that a lot as I'm sure you can tell! rolleyes.gif

I primarily fish in tannic stained brackish water, and I like the extra flash & movement those types of materials have. I probably like more flash in my flies than other folks do in theirs, but it seems to work for me.

IMO, those materials enhance the movement the rabbit hair has & draws attention to the fly. When I see Hackle Flash or Estaz on sale (JStockard usually) I stock up! laugh.png

Like I said, "creature" flies! Who knows what the fish take them as, but they do seem to like them! biggrin.png

I'm onto the cactus chenille heads and have used the longer polar variety palmered along with the hackle. Nice effects!

Yep, I too like that a lot as I'm sure you can tell! rolleyes.gif

I primarily fish in tannic stained brackish water, and I like the extra flash & movement those types of materials have. I probably like more flash in my flies than other folks do in theirs, but it seems to work for me.

IMO, those materials enhance the movement the rabbit hair has & draws attention to the fly. When I see Hackle Flash or Estaz on sale (JStockard usually) I stock up! laugh.png

Like I said, "creature" flies! Who knows what the fish take them as, but they do seem to like them! biggrin.png

Wow! they sure do! Caught a handsome smallie on the olive version I posted above. This afternoon temperatures went up and the fish went deeper. Enter the creature. Fish On! I think it keyed in on the drop then took it on the first or second hop.

P7130057_zps8mstikfq.jpg

Lovin this pattern.

Great SMB.....Maybe I need to tie up a couple of those.....

The evolution of my creature pattern continues. I've always wanted to do something with plain silver beadchain on my creature and I had a bunch of large brass beads laying around with little use so I decided to try and spice it up. Trouble was the melted 50lb. mono kept pulling through the small brass hole so I dabbled a bit of 5min. in the large recess and placed a small glass bead. Wala! I'm pleased and the thing holds together very well. Now I've got a creature with a glint in it's eye.

P7130004_zpsbq5gvkjd.jpg

Great SMB.....Maybe I need to tie up a couple of those.....

I'm a believer now. Definitely worth some real estate in the warm water fly box ditz2.