Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sandworm

Rattling PolarFlash Minnow

For years fisherman have been slamming fish on the traditional Silver/Blue Rapala and Rebel lures. So in keeping with that time proven color pattern I tied up this Minnow imitation. I added a Rattle Chamber to spice it up a little. The fly is hard up to the end of the hook and soft the rest of the way back to the tip

post-55933-0-90352900-1434896637_thumb.jpg

Hi Rocco

Take about 15 fibers of silver PolarFlash about 1 inch long and clip them in a pair of hackle pliers aligning them one next to the other so that only the edges touch coat your Thumb and forefinger with a little clear nail polish and coat the fibers by drawing down on them. Until they are stuck together and parallel to each other. Let it dry and then recoat it 2 more times . When it's dry u can tie the fly beginning with the Dorsal Fin and the anal fin . Tie them to the shank so they will be in the right position on the back and belly. Then tie the head of the fly like you would normally form Streamer head but when you pull the fibers down along the back split them evenly on either side of the Dorsel Fin . Then coat the fly from the the hook bend to the eye with clear nail polish while holding evey thing in place for a few mins. Let it dry then you recoat with non yellowing Epoxy to give it a nice clear coat . Once it's cured trim the fins to shape . Don't screw it up cause you only get one shot at it . L. O. L. It takes a while to tie this fly because u have to wait for things to dry. But they are worth the effort. Good Winter tie when your not itching to fish it.

Sandworm, another great looking fly!

I'm a big fan of Polar Flash!

I add rattles to some flies too sometimes, mostly poppers, but also Kirk Dietrick's Rattle Rouser style. I don't always tie them as Kirk does, but same basic idea.

Good pattern for imitating crayfish, shrimp or crabs. smile.png

Thanks.

There are a lot of differant fibers out there . PolerFlash and KystalFlash are my personal favorite . I also use Rumph SlinkyFlash. They don't mat up. Matted fibers and Toothy Critters means sucky hook sets !

I use ghost fibers for small Baitfish. But they have to be small enough for a fish to inhale it . Big flies get stuck in the teeth .

Here's a micro Perch pattern. I won't tie any larger then this with the Ghost Fibers .

post-55933-0-20988000-1434922644_thumb.jpg

Nice tie Sandworm. I've got a buddy who swears by rattles in his minnow flies for LMB. I'm not sure what flash material he ties them with but I've watched him fabricate rattles out of metal beads and plastic drinking straws. I'd love to see an SBS for this style of tie someday. Very interesting!

Hi Chuck

Glad u like it. The only other fly I tie with rattles is a Crayfish. It"s said that they cause a clicking and gravel grinding sound. I don't know if the lateral line on a Bass can pick up something as slight as that. But I have watched videos of Bass rooting out Crayfish. They seem to know just where it's hiding.