Fly Tying
Rocco

You gadget addicts

might like to try a new tool prospect I found today at Joann's.

The package has four plastic 'sqeeze-type" "Ultrafine Tip Applicator Bottles" in a pack. The individual bottles are about the capacity of a Sally Hanson's nail enamel bottle with a pin stopper that t holds back the flow out of a very narrow ceramic feed tip. Looks to me like a perfect fly head applicator with SH or CCG on flies down to #18 or so. Might also give a fine stripe effect on streamers to represent gills etc with a red coloring agent.

Distributed by Darice, Inc.out of Strongsville, OH but made in China -- of course. I have no stake in the matter and have not yet tried it out but will let you know if it flops or not.

Rocco

Might be pretty good for head cement or Sally Hansen but I am like Fletchfishes I doubt these would work for any type of UV resin.

Well that was a frustrating search! First I looked at Fletchfishes link, then tried to find it over here. I can get 4 on ebay UK. For just over £30 (about $45)! Err No.

Then I looked at Amazon UK. £2.85 for three. That's good. Plus £3.95 post and packing. That's not good.

Looking at the pictures though, I recognised those nozzles. They are the tips of automatic pencils. easily available in 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9 mm (You can also get 0.3mm but would probably be too fine. Hmm could I fit one of those on my existing UV resin bottle?

If you do try them here is a tip you could try. When you want to put cement onto a whip finish, but the area is crowded, Put the nozzle of one of those bottles into the loop of the whip finish, using it to guide the loop into place. Just before the loop slides off the nozzle squeeze out a little drop of cement. As the thread slides off the nozzle it will pick up the drop of head cement. You can hit the whip finish perfect every time this way, without gumming up the surrounding area.

Cheers,

C.

Yes, they are the ones I got.

Damn, clear! Did not think of that. Oh, well. Limited to SH use I guess.

Clearly some outfits are price gouging this item. I got 4 of them in a package for @ $10.00 IIRC.

Gave two to my wife for taking me to Joann's. (I feel creepy there on my own, mainly as the ladies give me the look as if I was in their rest room. It's OK though to push your wife's cart for her and pay at the cashier.)

Rocco

Us girlie boys have no problem going to Jo-Ann's. I don't frequent Hobby Lobby for other reasons.

Great suggestion!

Well that was a frustrating search! First I looked at Fletchfishes link, then tried to find it over here. I can get 4 on ebay UK. For just over £30 (about $45)! Err No.

Then I looked at Amazon UK. £2.85 for three. That's good. Plus £3.95 post and packing. That's not good.

Looking at the pictures though, I recognised those nozzles. They are the tips of automatic pencils. easily available in 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9 mm (You can also get 0.3mm but would probably be too fine. Hmm could I fit one of those on my existing UV resin bottle?

If you do try them here is a tip you could try. When you want to put cement onto a whip finish, but the area is crowded, Put the nozzle of one of those bottles into the loop of the whip finish, using it to guide the loop into place. Just before the loop slides off the nozzle squeeze out a little drop of cement. As the thread slides off the nozzle it will pick up the drop of head cement. You can hit the whip finish perfect every time this way, without gumming up the surrounding area.

Cheers,

C.

Wouldn't covering the bottle with electrical tape solve the problem?

paint the bottles black for uv's?

First thing that popped into my head was ... what ever you covered it with would have to be flexible, so squeezing the bottle wouldn't crack or peel it off.

Then I thought ... by the time you make it "UV" compatible ... you probably could've found a better bottle for as much or less money.

but....if the bottle is not in direct contact with a uv source inside the house in your tying room does it make a difference what color the bottle is??

I don't know....

you take the resin covered brush out of the bottle and it doesn't instantly harden

Wouldn't covering the bottle with electrical tape solve the problem?

paint the bottles black for uv's?

First thing that popped into my head was ... what ever you covered it with would have to be flexible, so squeezing the bottle wouldn't crack or peel it off.

Then I thought ... by the time you make it "UV" compatible ... you probably could've found a better bottle for as much or less money.

true