Fly Tying
breambuster

Trout Flies Invitational

OK Eide. What about the import laws. Are there any materials we should avoid using in the flies we tie since they are going to be shipped internationally to you? I haven't decided, for sure, on a pattern yet, but one thing I was thinking about had Golden Pheasant tail fibers. Would that be a "No-No?"

BB

End of September works for me. Pattern is still TBD. I have to see what hooks and materials I have.

OK Eide. What about the import laws. Are there any materials we should avoid using in the flies we tie since they are going to be shipped internationally to you? I haven't decided, for sure, on a pattern yet, but one thing I was thinking about had Golden Pheasant tail fibers. Would that be a "No-No?"

BB

GP is no problem, I'm thinking about cites material.

Rolled in from Montana late last night... and yep, end of Sept works great for me too.

So, the first set of flies has arrived! Fishingbobnelson's Adams Trude set arrived yesterday and they are awesome. This should be an easy fly to spot on the water and the whole set is just alike. They are like 12 identical twins. Not sure what you would call that. Triplets or Quadruplets are about as high as I know how to count that way. Anyway, all his flies look just alike. And, Bob, thank you so much for the extras! I'm going to keep 1 of each fly as a reference and a pattern to go by, but any extras are going into my fishing fly box. I know these are going to catch some fish, and I really appreciate it.

Take care

BB

To all the Internationals, people not living in the USA, who are in the Swap. Horseshoes came up with a great idea for handling the postage for you guys. I have a paypal account and she says that paypal will do the exchange from foreign to USA currency. So, if you would like to do that, just ship me your flies and I will pay the postage to get them back to you. Then I will send you a PM to let you know how much the postage for your flies was and you can put that amount into my paypal account. I'll send you my email address which is all you will need to send me the money. If you would like to do that, that will be good. If you would like to work out the payment for your postage some other way, let me know what you are planning to do.

Thanks

BB

I am, without question, the least qualified as a tyer, to be a part of this swap, so I've been wondering what to tie. I'm thinking about a couple of patterns. The first is a nymph pattern called Hetero-Genius. He has a hot spot that could be several different colors. I'm thinking about either orange or yellow, which are the most productive colors. Which would you guys prefer? The other pattern is a very old pattern popular in the Southern Appalachian Mountains called the Yallerhammer. "Yaller" is the mountaineers way of pronouncing the color Yellow. A Yellowhammer is the common name for a woodpecker also called a Flicker. There is a story and no one knows if it is true or not, that before the white men came to America, a Native American killed a Yelowhammer and wrapped part of a wing feather around a hook and caught trout out of a mountain stream. The first written recipe called for a split yellowhammer wing wrapped Palmer style around the hook shank. The modern recipe calls for standard fly tying materials. I'm thinking of tying both,., to make up for my lack of skills.

Take care

BB

There is a story and no one knows if it is true or not, that before the white men came to America, a Native American killed a Yelowhammer and wrapped part of a wing feather around a hook and caught trout out of a mountain stream.

I heard he used a #12 straight shank Tiemco Hook and a BPS Dogwood Canyon rod.