Fly Tying
JohnWu

Best breathable waders?

Looking to get new waders, seen the orvis encounter at a decent price but apparently the silver sonic waders r a lot better. I can't spend £400 of waders though, any suggestions? Is there much difference in the 3 layer breathables and the 5 layer??

durability is probably the most significant factor. More layers will likely last longer against wear, friction points in folds, and common places that would rub against rocks (ankles and knees).

I really enjoy my Simms G3 waders. They are Gortex and strong. I have had mine for 5 years now and my wife has had hers for 2. My backup waders or ones that I keep at my home away from the mountains are the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. The are not bad and you can get sized right for them with height, how round you might be and the stocking booties all come in different sizes. Sort of like custom waders for fraction of the price.

I really enjoy my Simms G3 waders. They are Gortex and strong. I have had mine for 5 years now and my wife has had hers for 2. My backup waders or ones that I keep at my home away from the mountains are the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. The are not bad and you can get sized right for them with height, how round you might be and the stocking booties all come in different sizes. Sort of like custom waders for fraction of the price.

Would you recommend the silver sonic convertibles?? I was thinking of getting them as the price seems reasonable enough

I got a Silver Sonic Convertible two years ago after my incredible 13 year old Simms Guides were honorably retired. I like the SSC's a lot. They have several excellent features including the convertible drop down suspenders, a water resistant front pocket great for fly boxes and a sealed waterproof pocket for phones and wallet.

My only have two problems. The suspenders have stretched out, so they are too loose. The gravel guard clip is just a metal hook and won't stay attached to my boots.

Try them on before buying though. The booties run quite large. Luckily I've discovered that big booties are much easier to put on and off. Just make sure the extra material fits in your boots.

For your price range I would recommend trying on a pair like Mr. Nori mane suggested. And then see how you feel in them.

I have tried on a pair of the orvis encounter waders, they fit great, but to buy the silver sonics would have to be online because the price difference from the shop i use to the orvis site is a big big difference

Does breathability matter for that part of the wader which is under water? I don't see how it could.

Does breathability matter for that part of the wader which is under water? I don't see how it could.

If you've worn neoprene waders ill know why

What about really cold weather use? The old neos gave very good insulation for all the retained damp inside.

Rocco

Why would the moisture from the lower humidity inside go to the 100% humidiy outside the waders?

Why would the moisture from the lower humidity inside go to the 100% humidiy outside the waders?

Even the bottoms of your waders are not in the water all the time. On a hot day, sweat can build up quickly inside your waders, while you're walking along the bank or wading in shallow water. Letting your legs breathe can help a lot.

Yes sir it matters greatly IMO. I like to hike away to areas on streams that are sometimes 30 minute hikes. Breath ability helps there. Then as stated before you are not always in the water or atleast chest deep. I'd recommend breathable over non breathable any day.

Yes sir it matters greatly IMO. I like to hike away to areas on streams that are sometimes 30 minute hikes. Breath ability helps there. Then as stated before you are not always in the water or atleast chest deep. I'd recommend breathable over non breathable any day.

I realize that, but that isn't what I asked. Again, "Does breathability matter FOR THAT PART OF THE WADER WHICH IS UNDER WATER?"