Fly Tying
kennebec12

Rather irritated

Heard this humming noise, started looking around the house to see what fan was randomly turned on. Not a fan. A drone with a camera looking through my window. Not too pleased with this. Complete invasion of privacy and as far as I'm concerned that's trespassing. If someone was unauthorized there in my yard with a camera that would be trespassing, the drone is just an extension of self. I don't care if it's not a person and it's not touching the ground. It's in my yard. Taking photos or video of me in my home and that is unacceptable.

We had one fly over the house slowly multiple times, with a camera. It stopped and hovered for 4-5 min, long enough to get the gun since dad wasn't home. When it saw me walking out I reckon the person realized what was about to go down, it too off. I grazed it with 00B but not enough to take it down. Apparently they knew they were in the wrong for we never had someone confront us or call the police...

There was a guy here in kentucky who just shot one down.Its all over the news here.He says it was hoovering over his yard pretty low while he and his daughters were in their back yard so he shot it down with a shotgun.The owner claims he was flying over and not hoovering.Long story short...They arrested the man that shot it down for wanton endangerment first degree mischief because he fired the gun into the air in his nieghborhood.They didnt confiscate the drone or the sim card.They will have to settle that part in court.The arresting officer and everyone that has commented on this says if it was hoovering with the mans daughters in the yard..they would have did the same thing but that does'nt change the law.They really need to establish some laws that address the privacy issue here.If i see one hoovering over my yard and around my windows i guess the wife will be bailing me out of jail.

Yeah, I am going with the, I thought it was an ALEEIN. I SEEN one of them UFOs 'afore and it skeert the cows so bad they didn't give milk for a week. I toll maself then, if'n I EVER see one agin', I'm shooting it down.

All joking aside, I know how to throw a bola. I suggest everyone learn how and make a cheap one out of tennis balls and thin rope. Then it's just a case of toy meets toy. Unfortunately for the more expensive toy, the drone, it can't fly with a rope wrapped around it.

I knew the day they released news that people could purchase "toy" drones, that abuses were just around the corner. Not just spying on people, but also flying into airport airspace, flying on roadways in traffic, and of course onto the White House lawn. The FAA should have developed regulations right off the bat, to prevent this kind of stuff. They should register them, so police or whoever can find out who owns a drone that has violated the regs (if they ever developed any). After all, we have to register and ID our cars, boats, and airplanes. They should treat these things just like airplanes.

I realize shooting guns into the air (at least shooting rifles and pistols) is dangerous and should not happen, not so sure a shotgun shell would be that big a problem, but if one was peeking into my window or swimming pool, I'd try to take it out. Maybe with a good quality slingshot and ball bearings.

I thought long and hard about taking the thing out of the sky, but earlier today I was uneducated about the laws of drones and keen on the laws of firearms in urban settings. Maine recently shut down a bill that would have required drone operators to obtain landowner permission to fly over private property. However, the misdemeanor offense "violation of privacy" states that it is illegal to record, videotape, amplify etc. using any device a person in their dwelling or out of hearing/visual range from a public way or adjacent property, so by simple semantics the operator of that drone was in violation of my family's privacy. There is, without a doubt, an urgent need for regulations on these things. It's sad to say but in this day and age I am justifiably worried about some pervert recording my wife breastfeeding our little girl in the 'security' of our own home. And how long is it going to be until people get itchy and break into a place knowing exactly when people leave and return based on this ridiculous form of surveillance?

Who's drone was it? No need to use firearms and get yourself in trouble, just go buy a paintball gun. Drone "pilots" fly by wire (navigate with the forward looking camera) a well placed paintball will take care of that, then all that money invested goes crashing down hard for him.

This is a post a did on a different board about the guy in KY. It has been to the Supreme Court. Why is this not pointed out and talked about?

I think this will eventually end up in the Supreme Court again. Here's the last decision. Should not this precedent make drone shooting legal unless drone owner can prove he was more than 83' in the air? 83' feet is a long shot with #8 bird shot in light field loads.

"Thomas Causby was a chicken farmer in North Carolina who lived near a tiny airport. During World War II, the Army took over the airport, and suddenly big military planes were flying over Causby's chicken coops all the time. The planes scared Causby's chickens. They flew into the walls of the coop and died.

Causby sued the government, and the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. In the end, the court sided with Causby, ruling that landowners own the sky above their homes up to at least 83 feet. "

And the entire article...
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/05/30/317074394/drone-wars-who-owns-the-air

Unfortunately, they didn't arrest the guy for shooting down the drone. They arrested him, "for wanton endangerment first degree mischief because he fired the gun into the air in his neighborhood". That means nothing about arrest is really about the drone. So, as my Mom always said, "nothing will be done about them until someone puts and eye out", or something like that.

Interesting article vicrider. That is some handy information to know. I am currently in a small neighborhood and I'm sure if I raise a stink about it with neighbors it won't be long until whoever is operating the thing is 83' in the air before leaving the confines of their yard. I'm pretty sure a large number of people don't want these things in their backyard. And we have town meetings every Wednesday, maybe I can get a town ordinance going.

Well what I don't understand is if it was illegal for him to fire the shotgun into the air, at a target, not just recklessly, then why is it legal to fire at waterfowl and doves, quail, pheasant, etc or even a squirrel in the top of a tree... All those involve firing a shotgun(or rifle) into the air... Was the man in a crowded neighborhood? Inside city limits? It doesn't make sense to me...

Well what I don't understand is if it was illegal for him to fire the shotgun into the air, at a target, not just recklessly, then why is it legal to fire at waterfowl and doves, quail, pheasant, etc or even a squirrel in the top of a tree... All those involve firing a shotgun(or rifle) into the air... Was the man in a crowded neighborhood? Inside city limits? It doesn't make sense to me...

The guy was in the city limits in a residential neighborhood and its illegal to discharge a weapon in the city limits.It is illegal to duck hunt,dove hunt,quail hunt,squirrel hunt and drone hunt in a residential neighborhood but as Steeldrifter has stated...a paintball gun is not illegal and a great idea.I think he's just invented a new sport.We could all use different colors and the color that brings it down wins.