Fly Tying
vicrider

"Green" Swap...Floss and Herl combo

Netabrookie, Wulffs came through and beauties they are. Again, the consistency some can manage is something I keep working on.

Vicrider, I am glad they made it and thank you for the compliment. The extras were from a size 8 down to a size 18 if I remember correctly. I think it was the size 10 that I thought the tail was a little too long but I reckon nobody's perfect.

It's in the first post. Figure I've been in the witness protection program so long nobodies looking for me anymore...I hope.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne, OK

Green, got to PO today and they were waiting. People will be getting a good bonus this swap. Yours look great. Two from you, two from me, and an always great from the other swappers in here.

First set of flies arrived today and they are a great set from djd3mon. Lovely set of Royal Wulffs that would look good in any swap.

Okay, looking at first page again djd lists his fly as a Royal Coachman but I've always called the version with the hair wings like this the Royl Wulff. No matter what you call it it is a beautiful fly.

When I google Royal Coachman many varieties came up including the one I tied. I am very new to the "royal" styles so who knows.

You are correct djd but there are established names attached to the many types of Coachman flies. Your version with the hair for wings is called the Royal Wullf. The standard Royal Coachman would normally have white mallard wings. Then it can be tied with Grizzly Hackle tips, as a swept back hair wing like a streamer, even as a parachute. The main ingredient to all the Royal family is the herl and floss. Tie one identical to yours with different color floss and they change the name. Tennessee Wullf is green floss. Then you can have Yellow Wullf, White Wullf, all the same fly with different floss colors.

Biggest single advantage for the Wullf family is visibility and high flotation.

Looks good Dubs. Can't guarantee trout on that but can about guarantee the 'gills will love it. My guess is trout, especially those fresh from the factory, are going to love it also.

FishingBob's great little flies showed up today. Lovely little trudes showing the quality he always sends in.

Vicrider, you were supposed to mention the Virginia Wulff also. I am going to need all the help that I can get trying to establish its place in the fly tying world. I know that it works well but I usually fish alone so theres no witnesses to back up my claims. If you have a few of them in your dry box that orange floss just jumps out at you and begs to be tied to your tippet. I'm fairly sure the trout here in the Virginia mountains are already gossiping about it and a lot are complaining about sore lips.

Yep, the one with the orange floss. Every time the opportunity arises you can casually mention that amazing new fly, the Virginia Wulff. A trip to the post office, the grocery store or the local gas station is a great opportunity to bring up the subject. If you happen to be in a situation where there is a large group of people and a microphone or bull horn then the message can really be broadcast. I considered renting a plane and dropping pamphlets but I really do hate litter bugs.

So now we can practice saying "Virginia Wulff, the one with the orange floss"

Repeat...

Repeat...

If we all say it repeatedly then it will become second nature

All joking aside, its a pleasure to be in another one of your swaps whether the fly catches on or not.

Virginia Wulff...Virginia Wulff...Virginia Wulff...