Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oholi

Serbian guy

As i told... unfortunatelly, there was too much of blood spilling recently.

My first fishing in Bosnia was during world fly fishing championship. Opposite to serbian rivers, most of them are chalk streams. Gin clear, more or less constant temperature. Hatches can be massive often. Olive ephemeras are among most common insects, and more massive the hatch the less in size are insects. Nymphing was an issue for me. Short line i've mastered pretty well. But Bosnian style i knew only in theory. Basics are one fly only, size small 18 or 20 rarely 16. Leader is long, tapered part about 9ft but tippet 3 to 4meters. Point is to cast long line, 10 to 20m (not counting leader). Cast upstream at some angle with leader collapsing, so fly gets down faster. Just let it drift for a while (this part is not part of fishing it lets fly go deep, more than 2m), do an upstream mend of whole line, except last 0,5 to 1m, that is an indicator. Start leading everything, a little bit slowlier than water speed. Strike is seen at the end of the line or felt in hand. You had fished pliva river, its the best method for that river. I dont know if they showed it to you? Once when you get it, its very good and extremly interesting way to fish. Since strike indicators are not allowed at competitions this was one way to have fish. Czeh method at pliva was impossible at most beats.

Just to mention, i am happy you had i guess a nice time in my country. I see you remember lots of words :)

Now i will go to post some pics in other topic

When I fished the Pliva there were very few locals using fly tackle. Typically theu used a spinning rod and a clear bubble (kuglica) with 2 or 3 droppers for flies imitating the then current hatch. These guys knew the trout lies and they were very efficient at fishing pocket water at the peak of the hatch. I caught a few decent fish but only by watching how and where they fished.

Rocco

Well always ask locals for advice. No matter how odd they look, they know their river :)

Oholi ... in some areas, you have to be careful of the locals, though. (Hears banjo music in the background!)

If you haven't watched "Deliverance" ... it's a must see before going into unknown woods.

Mike that movie is a standard of a new "degeneration." Didn't they have a sequel: "Deliverance-The Love Story?" Yikes! Ed

I didnt watch it. To be honest i dont have a TV since 2001, and i dont want one :)

rarely i download a film and see it... last one was child 44

Well i know my country. People are mostly helpfull

Hi all, i got my hands on some cheap yet very good hooks. They are barbless with spearpoint. Size 16

Here are some ideas i came with.

Pt nymph with some cdc

ee981052c9eeabd9179025ff82f806f9.jpg

BWO

aeab55730a5b202afaed39870a94e5fe.jpg

My favourite klinkhammer with uv ice dub tan

edd6682388084816ad9c4acaaab30a3f.jpg

Shuttlecock

41c2891bf78c7408aaabdd2ae6d038a5.jpg

Egg laying caddis

68c1c01528fa8ad62e168093b4121440.jpg

Well, when one have too much free time than something like this sees the day :)

Idea is that tippet is above water at least 1cm in front of the fly. Hook is not for dries but who cares :)

36798ff10acc84ee35d6844c302b367d.jpg

big one, october caddis, size 10. Body is my blend of everything.... wings are snowshoe

77c7fddf16a998090243af9cb3153360.jpg

Vlad... these flies you're posting are all masterpieces. But I fear many on this forum may not be viewing them because you're posting them in the "Introduce yourself" forum. We keep a running thread in the "Fly Tying Bench" for the flies of the month. I'd really like to see you post these over there so you can show your talent to all the members. I guarantee your flies will be a real hit!

Thanks a lot flafly :)

To be honest, i am a bit lazy. I am doing all over the phone so it was easier for me to do it this way.... i will post sth there

Oholi,

Are you still staying in the loop here? I hope so.

By the way do you know the guys behind "Alamazan Kitchen"? They are based in Sumadjia somewhere. Great site but not for vegetarians.

Regards,

Rocco