Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gatorfly

What thread does everyone use for midges

use whatever brand and size YOU are comfortable tying with. midges come in sizes 8 - 32

i use veevus 12/0 for mostly everything i tie

For really small flies Hans W. showed me a trick. Take an empty spool, tease and draw out two fibres from GSP thread, you want 4' plus. Put your hackle pliers on one end, and twist the fibres together. Wind onto the empty spool. Very strong, very very fine.

He also showed me that you can strip the herl off peacock, as you do to get stripped quill, and dub it, but it takes some doing.

Cheers,

C.

The emerging Midge pupa in the waters I fish in are size 20-18 and black, one pond they are down to size 24. On the smallest I use what ever 8/0 thread I have and on the larger ones I use either 8/0 or 6/0. I do not tie adult midges except for Griffiths Gnats which represents a midge cluster and around here they tumble over the water surface in their love act with size 16 working well. But what ever thread I have in black, I've used the old Universal vise stuff, Danvil ( not my favorite) Uni, I want to Ultra but that doesn't sound right. Anyway, what ever I have on hand.

And good , no, the best midge fishing of the year is straight ahead, coming up around the end of Sept and all through Oct into Nov. ! Both my 4 and 5 weights are ready and waiting. I need to whip up a few extra flies, broke some off in the spring.

UTC 70 for me, but I use UTC 140 and 70 for the majority of my tying.

I was trying to tie a 28 the other day and with 8/0 or 70 it just seemed like the thread was too big for the job. Think I'm gonna get either one of the 12/0 - 18-0 threads suggested to try. How easily does that stuff break?

When you are tying stuff that small you will have to manage your tension because of the hook size. The Veevus thread is extremely strong as are all the GSP type threads. You will bend or break the hook before you break the thread.

I also use veevus thread it is extremely strong for the diameter but no where near strong as gel spun polymer. The big issue with gsp is the slippery surface of the thread, which can be an issue when securing material on small flies. I also have a couple spools of Sheer 14/0 which is also very strong thread, although I prefer the veevus.

As no one who re spools thread for fly tying (I say re spools because they are not the spinners of the thread in most cases) do not stick to the "0" numbering system, and the denier system is a measure of the density of the thread, not the "size" of it. I would suggest taking a look at the thread and judging the size for yourself.

Cheers,

C.