Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James w 3 3

Hello from Northern California

I was told to check this site out by someone on the North American fly fishing site . . . They were spot on.

My friends refer to me as a much better fisherman than a tyer . . . I don't think that's a compliment.

I'm looking to surprise them, and perhaps myself! 😉

Welcome to the site, James.

Are these friends of yours fly tiers? Do they have examples of their own work, that's better than yours? And most importantly ... do you prefer catching fish, or tying flies?

I tie for fishing. I post pictures of my flies for others who tie for fishing. My flies aren't perfect examples of perfect flies ... but they DO catch fish.

As for getting better at tying ... this is a great site. Lots of excellent practitioners who can give very constructive criticism. As long as you can take the criticism, you'll improve.

Welcome to where it's at, James. Let us know a bit about yourself... what you tie, what your fish for, your life history :-)

Also I suggest you fill in some bio in your profile. When we are answering others' posts, sometimes it helps to know something about who we're talking to. Click on my name (or Mike's) to see our profiles as an example.

And don't let anyone put down your flies... really if you catch fish on them, then they're great. All of us tie for a variety of reasons, in a variety of different ways, using a variety of different materials, and we're all a perfectly ordinary family.

Welcome to the site, James.

Are these friends of yours fly tiers? Do they have examples of their own work, that's better than yours? And most importantly ... do you prefer catching fish, or tying flies?

I tie for fishing. I post pictures of my flies for others who tie for fishing. My flies aren't perfect examples of perfect flies ... but they DO catch fish.

As for getting better at tying ... this is a great site. Lots of excellent practitioners who can give very constructive criticism. As long as you can take the criticism, you'll improve.

Actually, yes, they are on the whole very good tiers. However, I am, much to their chagrin, a much better fisherman than they are. It's all good natured though.

Most of my fly fishing is trout, in stillwater, from my float tube.

Like you, I tie to catch fish. Given that, and where I primarily fish, most of my best are based on movement and what I see in the water.

I think I'll like it here!

Hey James, welcome to the site. This is a good spot to be if you wanna get better. I've not been here long, and these guys have given me tips I don't believe I'd have ever gotten. I'm also competitive by nature. Seeing work from others that are better has inspired me to work harder and get better. Yup...it's a good place and it's fun too. Cheers, Ed

James..... sorry to see that thousands are having to flee wildfires in Northern California. Hope you haven't been affected. Keep us informed.