Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

Where have all the salties gone?

You blokes in the northern hemisphere must be out catching the last bit of the summer season....

Let me know when your tying season starts.

Depends..... in Florida, we have two seasons: summer and February 4th. In North Carolina (where I am now) there's a real winter beginning around the end of Nov thru about Feb. I've never actually spent a winter here so I don't know what it's like.

When I left Florida last week, the daily highs were in the upper 90s, and the nightly lows in the 80s. Up here in NC now, the daily highs are averaging around 77 and the lows in the lower 40s. (that's Fahrenheit, for you folks in the rest of the world who use base 10 math).

I don't fish much salt water these days though I live on Cape Cod. The salt is just tough on everything and the inner creeks have both salt and sand in the mix of the tides. Super abrasive besides corrosive. On the rare years I decide to abuse my boat out in the salt, my trailer to launch and retrieve it, the back end of my car at the salty ramps, I might fish from it especially for sea bass. Nothing destroys all sorts of equipment like salt water.

Always always always wash everything with fresh water when you get through fishing in saltwater!!!! It's a good idea to back your boat down a ramp in a freshwater lake and run the motor for a bit to clean it out.

I used to fish in the saltwater bayous adjoining the bay with my johnboat, but not for a long time now... for some reason I just like freshwater fishing better.

Grew up in the salt... Boat gets washed more than the car... and I've got some dedicated wash now specifically for getting salt out of the boat... motor always gets a good flush.... Out on the flats tomorrow morning again... sigh....

post-22241-0-75700800-1442529082_thumb.jpg

I'm always in for salt; my first love it is .growing up on Long Island, New York ( in the Hamptons) I was less than a mile from the ocean and a hundred yards from the bay. I can Imagine being anywhere else . I have reels, rods and lures that are over twenty years old. as long as you care for them properly they will last you a life time.

Going to be starting here in Scotland this month. Also waiting on a new spinning rod from our very own Steve so that's going to see lots of action.

HI folks! I haven't been around here in awhile, but still alive & well. I've relocated to SC. Lots of things going on and have had to get a new job, so not as much time to get on the forums. Haven't been doing any tying or much fishing either unfortunately. sad.png

I exchanged some emails with Peter awhile back, but haven't seen him around much either. Still get email notices from his wife's art interests (The Accidental Artist) and have not heard anything that would indicate he's not doing well, so hopefully he is.

Great to see some of the saltwater group is still hanging out here! smile.png

Shut down for the winter right now. It usually starts up early to mid May when the racer blues(I think you call them tailors down in Oz)invade the back bays. If we have a warm spring it might start sooner right now water temps are in the mid-40s. Water temperature needs to be 50 before most fly fishers will hit the water. Runs from then till late fall or early winter when the water temperature drops below 50. We had a very warm fall in 2015 so folks were still catching schoolie stripers around Christmas.