Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bau5hunter

n3wb from East Texas

I have been fishing since I was able to walk. In effect, I have been fishing for 25 years, and I am 28. Needless to say, fishing is something I am very passionate about, and it is my absolute favorite thing to do in the world.

I have been fly fishing now for a month. I acquired a TFO Prof. II 7wt. On it, was placed a 7wt Echo Ion reel. I threw sloppy casts for about 2 days, then quickly decided to investigate the proper casting technique. The learning process and mastery of the fly cast became an obsession; conventional fishing gear is to a baseball bat, as fly casting is to the golf swing. Learning how to cast, and the overall process is so much fun, and even though I have tight loops now, I am still practicing. I also recently started tying flies, to have as a hobby. And for me, it has become an expensive hobby (not that I mind, i enjoy it THAT much).

Anyways, I love fishing. I added a fly rod to my arsenal because I wanted another way to challenge me when I am on the water. The thrill of stripping in a fighting fish standing in a kayak is an addiction. It is all a collective ongoing experience that has added a lot to my life. I am glad to be here, and will be asking a lot of questions that you would probably expect from a learner!!

I welcomed you in the "beginner forum" ... but I'm extending that welcome here.

Interesting to see you've already lost your mind with the fly tying, and money is not important to you. There are those in here who, I believe, are one paycheck shy of the poor house because of their addiction to tying and fly fishing.

Then there are those, like me, who only tie to fish. We are the outcasts, shudder, don't spend a lot of money on our tying.

Both kinds are here ... but you'll find that both kinds are good people. You ask questions, you'll get answers. Take the all with a sense of humor and you'll learn everything you want to.

Mmmm where in east TX?

Been doing this longer than you been alive..private water?

I can help and teach

Palestine area. Have regularly fished most of the lakes in the surrounding area, as well as a few others in various locations. Haven't fished much private water