Fly Tying
Li'lDave

October Flies from the Bench

Is that some kind of barred flash trailing back with the saddle? Don't think I have seen that before. Great looking tie!

J

Yes! It's new from Hairline. Its called Magnum Barred Flashabou.

nice fly, what is this body tubing you were talking about?

Here is the video explaining the body tubing: Chocklett's Body Tubing - YouTube I used an entire pack on 2 flies. I found some much cheaper on Ebay under the name "expandable braided tubing".

so its basically the same thing as those rod socks, just in smaller diameters. thats a cool idea

X number of years ago jack gartside introduced "corsair" tubing to the fly tying world

Now history repeats itself with this "new" magical tubing?

X number of years ago jack gartside introduced "corsair" tubing to the fly tying world

sorta like re-introducing Rockem, Sockem Robots to every new generation of kids.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe corsair tubing/ez body etc, are used to make the actual body on flies?

The application is completely different with this stuff. You make a cone shape with it that keeps bucktail flaired, and you shouldn't necessarily see it. It's sole purpose is to reduce weight, reduce materials, while keeping the bucktail from matting down. I personally think it's a great idea.

yes they can be used as bodies but you can tie in corsair/ez body tubing at the eye of the hook, push it back on itself and it will create the same effect

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/032601fotw.php

you can also make bodies with the chocklett tubing. wouldnt be that hard

so corsair/ez body cant be turned in on itself like the chocklett tubing can?

BROWN%20MIRACLE%20MIDGE%202_zpsv8bgixyt.

MIRACLE MIDGE, Brown – Daiichi 1130, #18 – #22…

CRUMPLED%20MIDGE%20CREAM_zpsw626m8ju.jpg

CRUMPLED MIDGE, Cream – Engle/Variant – Daiichi 1110, #18 – #22…

CRUMPLED%20MIDGE%20OLIVE_zpsv0aqxwjm.jpg

CRUMPLED MIDGE, Olive – Engle/Variant – Daiichi 1110, #18 – #22…

CRUMPLED%20MIDGES%20GRP_zpsleeqbt58.jpg

A flock of CRUMPLED MIDGES…

PT/TB

Parachute style flies as you can tell I haven't done much of but I thought I'd have a gopost-37956-0-62816900-1444006090_thumb.jpegpost-37956-0-94491500-1444006113_thumb.jpeg

post-37956-0-91401900-1444006280_thumb.jpeg a little pinky

Sorry about that it seems to have loaded twice even though I was told I didn't have permission and would have to wait 29 seconds before posting lol

Hey Cream...that is a cool looking bug. Obviously the hair work looks immaculate. But that tail is also super...it seems to explode out the back of the bug. The tail also looks light, and like it might shed water well too. What did you put back there? Thank you, Ed

The tail portion is tied on a worm-style bass hook. The tail materials are Sparkle Hair flash, two colors of wrapped marabou, cheeks/hot spots of arctic fox, with a light topping of black marabou (not wrapped).

This is the easiest fly I have ever "tied", yet it caught two 21" rainbows and about 15 other smaller ones. Yes, its just a bare red hook. I guess the trout think its an aquatic worm. We tried more conventional San Juan worms made from chenille and even Squirmy wormy matierial, even tried Hares Ears and pheasant tail nymphs, nothing out-fished the bare red hook that day.

post-37228-0-46284500-1444057308_thumb.jpg

This is the easiest fly I have ever "tied", yet it caught two 21" rainbows and about 15 other smaller ones. Yes, its just a bare red hook. I guess the trout think its an aquatic worm. We tried more conventional San Juan worms made from chenille and even Squirmy wormy matierial, even tried Hares Ears and pheasant tail nymphs, nothing out-fished the bare red hook that day.

Sick fly bro. That must have taken you quite some time to tie.