Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce M

Hello From NY

Joined and lurked for a while and just now saying hello. I've been tying for a while now and really do love to tie fly's maybe even more than I love fly-fishing, kind of strange I know.

I live in the Catskill region of NY and really enjoy all the heritage that comes with that.

Looking forward to reading and posting this fall/winter.

Bruce.

Not strange at all.... this is, after all, the Fly Tying Forum. Fly tying is a work of art in it's own right. If I only tied to support my fishing, (1) I would only tie foam spiders, popping bugs, maybe hoppers (I fish for panfish), and (2) I would be through tying by now since I already have all of those things I need for fishing. I like to try other patterns, even though I don't intend to ever actually fish with them.

You're in the right place now. Let us see some of your ties when you get a chance.

Welcome to the foum !

Tying in the winter is a nice pass time ( I also do wood turning but the basement is a lot cooler than upstairs where I tie flies at, so not as inviting in mid winter as fly tying is).Yeah, it's nice to come in after being out snow blowing or what ever in the cold of mid winter, sit in a warm space and tie up a few flies with a travel mug full of warm coffee. Back in Feb I finally tied the cinnamon ants I've been wanting to tie in size 16 in just that scenerio. I'm sure you enjoy something similar out in the Catskills. Again, welcome !

I do as you Dave, hot coffee and tying.

Much to my wife's dismay, My tying desk is in our bedroom and during a tying session I have all my "dead animals" (as my wife calls it) splayed out on our bed.

My daughter is moving out soon so the wife already said that the tying desk is moving, I think she's serious, lol.

Oh and Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I'm lucky if my wife doesn't steal my hackle skins to pin to a hat for her Mostly Dickens Carolers costumes she wears out singing going into the Christmas season.. But guess she wouldn't like my mess in the bedroom, my tying station gets pretty cluttered. I have it in our studio. i used to be really good about picking it up each time I switched patterns but since I retired doesn't seem so now !!

Welcome Bruce, Im not far from you and am regularly humbled by Catskill trout.

Hey Jay, Maybe someday we'll run into each other on the stream and yes, it can be very humbling at times.