Fly Tying
cheech

UV Resin Shootout - Posted

Nice article, Cheech. I like the explanations of the testing ... I'll read it more thoroughly when I get home.

Why Mike, you probably just use pine pitch scraped off a tree or melted candle wax from your house lighting to seal your sewing thread anyway !! LOL

Candle wax doesn't stick very well. Pine pitch is a great idea ... I hadn't thought of that one but I must investigate the possibilities. Mostly, smart ass, I use superglue and fingernail polish from Dollar Tree.

But in all honesty, (and joking aside) I love the look of the thick layers you can get with UV resin, without a drying wheel. I've always wanted to tie some surf candy type flies too, and the UV resin makes that much easier to do.

Cheech,

Thanks so much for doing this.

Your results fall along the same lines with my own experiences.

Mahalo,

Kimo

Based on your test Kimo, what is your uv of choice? It seems a lot of your ties (mind blowingly awesome by the way) utilize uv, I have silver creek and love both the products I have from him, but I always like to see what else is out there as well. After seeing what you put out I'm interested in what you use.

Thanks, Tanner

Roque,

I am huge fan of the Loon products and have been using them since UV Knot Sense.

My Latex Scud and Mysis Shrimp could not have been possible without it.

Kimo

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me and letting know your opinions, Im gonna have to give loon a try it seems

I do have one question on the odor test.

Did you put equal amount of the resin on a peice of paper and smell it or did you smell the bottle or do some other test?

I do have one question on the odor test.

Did you put equal amount of the resin on a peice of paper and smell it or did you smell the bottle or do some other test?

Smelled the bottle. I actually went back and "re-smelled" all the resins because there have been some manufacturers claiming that their resins don't smell... I also had a lot of other people smell the resins (people who don't even tie flies) and our findings were still very accurate.

why not include the discoloration results? That is an important trait that actually relates to the usefulness of the product, as opposed something like heat generation.

why not include the discoloration results? That is an important trait that actually relates to the usefulness of the product, as opposed something like heat generation.

Read the article ... he did his best for discoloration with an all day sun exposure.

Whatever. Go for it ... do the research on all the brands he did. Let us know what the discoloration properties are.

Whatever. Go for it ... do the research on all the brands he did. Let us know what the discoloration properties are.

I'm not sure what it is about you mike....but I have a feeling we would get along

Nice attitude.

Asked a legitimate question to the person who did the research.

The data is already there. If you read the article and look at all of the images, you will see that it's been done. It's also quite simple to quantify the degree of discoloration.

Was just wondering why these results weren't included in the calculation when other "less important and harder to measure" (to me at least) were included.

Valid question fly-chucker. The post cure and down-the-road coloration would have for me been a deciding factor in resin choice. If there was a resin that cured tack free, was inexpensive, durable and then turned brown or dark amber curing or after a short period of time then I would not consider that resin.

So I'll also ask the question why TEST #4 was not included in final consideration?

Valid question fly-chucker. The post cure and down-the-road coloration would have for me been a deciding factor in resin choice. If there was a resin that cured tack free, was inexpensive, durable and then turned brown or dark amber curing or after a short period of time then I would not consider that resin.

So I'll also ask the question why TEST #4 was not included in final consideration?

i totally agree. tackiness can be dealt with in a number of ways. a fly ruined by discolouration is garbage.

Nice attitude.

I'd apologize for the opinion, but I can't. I will say I didn't actually mean it to be "snarky".

I look at all the research he did, and all the explanations he he detailed in a well versed article, and I think ... "I'm exhausted just reading this. He's got WAY more time and energy than I do"

Unless one is ready to do as complete a research panel as this, what is the purpose of complaining about it? Anyone can see the discoloration sheet after a day in the Sun, and judge for themselves whether it's a major factor. Putting one more column on the chart to get a different "score" hardly seems necessary.