Fly Tying
MbCarp

WiggleWiggle Wiggle

That is just over the top!!! Is there a pattern for that wild beast? How is the wiggle motion imparted? Tell us more!!!

Art

Interesting never seen the Petijean head- it looks like another method i've seen:)))

the WiMi takes a different approach- basically its designed as a suspending pattern- but can be tied to float and dive/supend and dive or slow sink and stay self righting no matter how it lands

Will

Petitjean magic head. Are those the little cups that you place on your line in front on the fly? I've seen write ups on them, but a quick video does then no justice.

Now to be the a**hole. What do the purists have to saya bout using these? devil.gif

Art

That looks really cool!! After studying the video clip...

I think it looks like it's a modified Garside Gurlger. I think I see a foam strip on the top. Unlike the Garside Gurgler with the foam possitioned forward over the eye, creating the "gurlge" effect, the foam in your wiggler is folded towards the back of the fly.

I don't see anything remotely looking like the Petitjean Magic Head.

How warm am I?

The action on that fly is fabulous. I had to look up what a Petitjean Magic Head is tho.

I don't know that I'm a purist - maybe I am. One might say that it can be equated to adding a propeller on a wolly bugger - pistol pete always seems to outfish me when I bring my spin casting friends.

Another would say it is entirely different. It's not tied on the fly, it's added to the leader - like a strike indicator. I don't use those either, but many purists do. I don't see how this little device is a bad thing.

The fly's movement looks very close to how a damsel fly moves in water. There's no real way to imitate that movement except with this head (as far as I know).

I wouldn't use one, but I wouldn't be critical of anyone who would. Cool idea. smile.gif

---

oops...my mistake...i suppose they are tied on to the fly. Hmmmm....ehhh, still my thoughts are the same.

I'll post up some pics and try and explain some adjustments to the design that enhance what it does:) the patterns steals from all over the place( < big believer in creative thievery vs originality claims:)))

cheers

Will

If I had to guess - and I do because I'm like that - I'd say it was made with locofoam tied in like a disc sloping backward - I've seen a few patterns tied that way but I've never seen a video thats just plain sweet.

some pics- since I teased everyone:))

WiMi -Floater/Diver

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

and one done WiMi Nymph style - ballasted with tungsten sheet as a slow sink version

user posted image

the lip is simply shaped from the hard part of a plastic hook box- with a little epoxy under for strength . the combo of foam shapes makes it wiggle with the slightest forward movement and the rear triangle keeps it from rolling

I use a loop to tie them on -Popper Style-rather than a knot-

enjoy

Will smile.gif)))

I think it's very cool, probably very effective too!

I'm no purist, I catch fish with many different techniques, but I find it difficult to classify this as a "fly". Seems to me "lure" is a more appropriate.

With that said, how does it cast? What rod would it take to turn it over?

I like it, great action and looks like a fly to me. I would worry that the plastic lip hanging below the level of the hook end would prevent a few hook up's?

Graham

A guy named Leon Guthrie ties some interesting patterns with a 'dipper vane'. He has a great imagination and I've used his ideas several times. Take a look at his patterns.

Dipper Vane

As far as the lip/vane is concerned, perhaps an inverted hook style would be better for greater hooking percentage.