Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Biot Body CDC Dry Fly

I wanted to share a pattern that has some great features to fool difficult fish. This dry fly has a biot body, cdc thorax, and easy-to-tie Realistic Mayfly Wings; all are features that help to make this Biot Body CDC Dry Fly very effective. The fly also rides low, and can resemble both a dun and emerger in the water. Finally, though I tie a BWO in the video, this pattern can be modified to represent most mayflies ouy there.

If you've used biot bodies in the past, let me know your thoughts on them, and if you add any type of reinforcement to ensure they stay secure.

Thanks for checking it out,

TC

TC, have you actually cast this pattern much, and if so, how badly do the stiff wings twirl up a tippet?

Just wondering..........every pattern I've ever tied with stiff plastic-type mayfly wings furls up the tippet/leader.

I use just a little thick CA (generic Zap-a-Gap) to keep my biots in place.

Nice tie, love you channel... been sub'd for a while.

I have, and I agree that the larger the wing, the more difficult the pattern can be to cast. The tippet can get a little twisted, though the larger concern with these wings is that they can tear off at times, depending on how they have been secured. I've heard from others that by dubbing the thorax, more security is added to the wings, hence that's a nice addition to consider.

At the end of the day, I tend to keep the fly as you saw it in the video. This is a pattern that I don't fish all day long; instead, I tend to use it in situations over difficult fish, and may give it a maximum of three-to-five casts before going onto another pattern if it doesn't work. For that reason, that's why I wondered how others secure the biots, since I normally do so just in nymph patterns.

By the way, I think it's my casting that causes my tippet to look so funky, not the fly! ;-)

Thanks for the comment,

TC

TC, have you actually cast this pattern much, and if so, how badly do the stiff wings twirl up a tippet?

Just wondering..........every pattern I've ever tied with stiff plastic-type mayfly wings furls up the tippet/leader.

Thanks for mentioning the CA; I appreciate it! Does it cause a lot of build-up on the pattern?

I also really appreciate the kind words, and glad to know you've been subscribed for awhile!

TC

I use just a little thick CA (generic Zap-a-Gap) to keep my biots in place.

Nice tie, love you channel... been sub'd for a while.

[/sidenote:]

IIRC, a neat trick from one of Davie McPhail's videos is to coat the underside of the biot

with a thin film of CA glue. I believe he used the side of a bodkin needle to apply the glue

thus it went on paper thin. Tie in the tip of biot, then apply glue, then wrap.