Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Custom 4wt, put on your sunglasses!

Bnkydf.jpg

jU2H56.jpg

esOZjV.jpg

This one is probably not for everyone's taste lol, but keep in mind this is for a 6 year old little girl. So I wanted to do this one up just flashy and full of color so that it would maybe hold her interests enough to keep her into fly fishing with her Dad for a long time. So I did an explosion of colors in the window of the reel seat, added some pink flame marbling at the rear of the grip, turned the grip to a smaller size OD to fit her little hand, and did the wraps in a somewhat pink'ish red color. Hopefully she and her Dad spend many happy days on the water together with this rod.

Nice! I wonder how long it is. Surely a 6 yr old can't handle 8 ft.

7'6" I figure that should be a good size for a little one to control at this age and still be useful when she gets older....or when Dad wants to play with it as well lol

This came out better than I imagined!!! She is going to love it!

FlaFly: The rod is 7'6" and the girl isn't dainty... She is my Warrior Princess... She is all about killing shit and eating it. This is her Christmas gift and will not likely get to use it until spring after things start to thaw.

HAHAHA! YES!!! Steve, is it too late to add that? If not, then I am down. She can be the girly-girl, but she also has that special something that allows her to get dirty and take some risk as well. My hands will be full when she is older...

She just started school this year and I have her practicing putting her thumbs into the eyes of boys messing with her. She has done it to her older brothers when they wouldn't leave her alone... Much to the chagrin of her mother.... DOH!

We typically fish stocked lakes and she wants assurance that the trout she caught is the trout she is eating... She wants to whack deer and rabbits as well. She has never turned her nose up at any game meat...

I've begun "easing" her into the idea of conservation with letting the smaller ones go...

I took my 10 yo grandson to Maine a few times, introduced him to fly fishing a couple of years ago now I guess, maybe 3 years ago even, he was either 9 or 10 cause he is 12 now, and a pretty rugged kid. I let him use my 8"6" 5 wt. He got along Ok but, didn't seem enthralled . When he handed him my 7' 4 wt. He instantly fell in love with it. Shorter, slimmer cigar grip, light wt. Typical kid, he really wanted a fly rod, then he wanted salt water stuff, then he went crab trapping LOL !! Well crab trapping makes perfect sense till he gets older and can handle a striper rod. He lives a half mile from the creek with crabs in it and the same creek has stripers come up in it in the spring. He can't striper fish with a 4 wt !

Nice one Steve !! My daughter would like that rod, she loves anything with pink on it and she is 40 years old lol !! If they made a pink CRV she would own it.