Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Comfort vs. Utility in Vehicles -- What Would You Do?

So I'm going tomorrow to look at a new SUV. This would replace my current vehicle, a compact car which I use for both commuting to work and fishing. I want the SUV for several reasons: ground clearance (for getting to the good fishing spots back in the sticks), cargo capacity (for fishing and non-fishing applications), and the option of 4WD (this would be more for snowy commutes; I live in West Michigan where it's not uncommon to get more than a foot of snow at a time, and I commute about an hour (one-way) to work 5 days a week. I should add, I guess, that I need to either trade or sell my car in order to get the SUV--keeping it is not an option.

I would like to get the lowest "trim package" available on the vehicle I've chosen. I don't care half a hoot for "bells and whistles"--I prefer my cars basic and uncomplicated. However, on this particular car, the lowest trim package does NOT include AC. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it sure would be nice on those sticky hot summer days. To get AC, I'd have to go up one trim level, which is a price difference of about $5000 if I stick with the 4WD. However, if I was to get the middle trim level with just FWD, the price jump would only be around $2000--much more doable.

This raises an interesting question for me--would I rather give up a level of comfort by going without AC, or a level of utility by going without 4WD? When I think about it, neither of them is a "need" for me. This is Michigan, after all--it rarely gets above 90 degrees in summer, but it snows like a SOB all winter long (roughly December - March or even mid-April). That would push me toward 4WD over AC. By the same token, how often would I actually use the 4WD if I had it? Probably not that often at all--after all, the last two cars I've owned (which accounted for the past 6 years of my life) didn't have 4WD, and I never had a problem, although there were maybe 1 or 2 days during that time when it snowed so much that I couldn't get to work in the little cars. It's really more a peace of mind thing, just knowing that it's there if I should need it.

So, I'm just sitting here chewing on this question. I'm not looking for anyone here to tell me what to do, per se--ultimately, it will come down to what's available and dollars-and cents--just curious how others on here would come down on this question, and why.

Thoughts, anyone?

For over 25 years I drove a chevy 4 wheel drive truck going just about any place I wanted to go including crossing wilderness streams, plowing snow in blizzards and my own driveway, towing boats and camper trailers you name it. The compromise both AC and gas mileage. Then I got a new 2wd truck and I was stuck in two wheel drive never satisfied, not crossing wilderness streams, being limited here and there etc etc. And I seemed not to be able to work my way back to 4wd due to expense, lousy trades and so on it went. Then It Happened. I launched the boat in a gravel landing and upon returning at the end of the day I couldn't get it out try as I may and got stuck. That was it, screw it, never again will I own 2wd as my personal vehicle. My wife can own them but not me, until I'm too old to go fishing at all. I found the best deal with Nissan, FWIW. And I did a lot of shopping but before I went back to Maine I had a 4wd SUV, towed the boat and pulled it out of the very same gravel landing. Nuff said..

I’m sure you’ll get lots of advice on this one but I can only tell you about my own experience. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback. In a past life the vehicle was my office and I typically put 35K to 40K a year on it. It had to carry loads, larger metering pumps and mixers. It had to have good MPG, 30 plus on the high way. It has excellent ground clearance, 8.7” I believe and AWD. It also makes a great fishing vehicle. In 2014 we took an 8 week trip from Pennsylvania to Montana, Wyoming an Idaho. Probably 500 miles of that were on dirt roads or some that claimed to be. The Outback was flawless.

Given the amount of time you spend driving, if you plan on keeping the thing for any amount of time, I suggest not sacrificing on the AC either.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Yeah I hear you Dave G. --it's that sense that I can go where I want to go that appeals to me about 4WD. Of course, you can get 4WD's stuck, too (and usually further from home, as the tired old joke goes smile.png ). I don't do any true off-roading myself--the worst I tackle is what Michiganders call two-tracks--little cowpath type "roads" through the woods; they can be a little hairy but not like true off-roading. I don't use my vehicle to launch my boat (kayak), either, so I wouldn't have that worry. Not until I'm able to buy a bigger boat, anyways. :-D

4WD = heavy = more fuel all the time! When you do need 4WD it's only the front wheels that help! I own a front wheel drive VW transporter with "AC" & we get snow in Finland too!

Rolf, I have given serious consideration to both the Outback and the Forester--if I wanted to be completely sensible, I would probably get one of those, to be honest. There's a measure of...I don't know if I'd say vanity, exactly, but just "how I want to think of myself" in play here--basically, I just like the way SUV's and trucks look. I know that's not very practical. You're absolutely right, a Subaru would probably make the most sense for me. The only potential legitimate strike against them in my eyes is that they don't appear have a lot of headroom or general cargo space, and one of the things I liked about larger, more "boxy" SUV's (when I owned them in the past) is that I could comfortably sleep in them if I wanted to....I don't know if you could do that in the Outback or Forester or not. Have you ever?

You make an excellent point, Adam; I had not thought of a 4WD in those terms before, but you're right--the times when you'd throw it in 4WD would be when the rear wheels weren't getting traction. By that logic, a FWD makes more sense. And you're right about the fuel econonmy, too. Good point! FWD with AC might be the right way to split the difference in my case. Thanks for your insight!

I've never owned a 4-wheel drive. I won't bother to own one, either. In today's world, it's a rare place that you NEED 4-wheel drive to get to. And then you tend to piss people like me off. I've seen way to many idiots tear up some beautiful scenery just because they can. There were other ways to get to where they were going but ... "Hey, screw that, I'll make my own path!"

Airboats tearing up my shallow water fishing areas ... 4-wheel drives tearing up the rest of the country side. It's a good thing hunting humans is illegal, or ...

Well, I digress. Look around at all the areas you might go to within normal driving range. If you don't have a ton of 4-wheel only accessible places, save your money and go with comfort. As stated above, they're better on gas, too. This current low gas price era won't last forever ... they never do.

I've never owned a 4-wheel drive. I won't bother to own one, either. In today's world, it's a rare place that you NEED 4-wheel drive to get to. And then you tend to piss people like me off. I've seen way to many idiots tear up some beautiful scenery just because they can. There were other ways to get to where they were going but ... "Hey, screw that, I'll make my own path!"

Airboats tearing up my shallow water fishing areas ... 4-wheel drives tearing up the rest of the country side. It's a good thing hunting humans is illegal, or ...

Well, I digress. Look around at all the areas you might go to within normal driving range. If you don't have a ton of 4-wheel only accessible places, save your money and go with comfort. As stated above, they're better on gas, too. This current low gas price era won't last forever ... they never do.

There is that element out there but it doesn't mean we have to participate just because we have 4wd. I don't do true off road 4 wheeling either but manage to find trouble anyway. The stream crossings I mentioned are washed out bridges in logged back jeep roads in Maine ( these roads are in the gazetteer). 4wd is far more sure footed in snow and mud than two wheel. Front wheel drive may or may not be in between the two, it really depends on the vehicle, tires used etc. Gas mileage is real though, no doubt 4wd will cost there.

My wife owns a Ford Escape, 4 banger stick, it gets upward of 30MPG and has excellent road clearance. We sometimes go to Maine in it and it carries a canoe just fine ( don't tow the boat with that). We can get where we need to go in the fall but I would not want to do that in the spring with spring mud up there. It's a 2008 and has been an excellent vehicle. The new ones are rated slightly better yet. It's FWD only..

Spent all of my 52 years in the upper Midwest (IA, MN, WI and for the last 5, MI). In my early 30's, I had a 2wd truck and hit a snowstorm on what normally was a 3 hour drive, turning into 9 hours...swore I'd never be w/out 4wd again. (And I haven't).

Current vehicle a Nissan Xterra - and wouldn't trade it for anything. Bought it for the exact same reasons you list - basic over bells and whistles (but it does have AC). Got it for 26K, new, in 2012 - same cost as a front wheel drive Altima that obviously gets better mileage but sucked in the snow in comparison.

If I lived south of I-80, it would be far different. But up here, the extra security and control afforded by 4wd in bad weather, and the ruggedness of a body on frame construction (not just for winter but for the pothole infestation of spring) is worth it for me in getting to fishing holes and hunting areas, maximum safety in transporting my family and peace of mind. I've pulled people out of ditches, and waterlogged 2wd vehicles with their boats off of launch ramps on several occasions. Even if it didn't have AC, I'd still own it, because if I sweat a couple days a year, so what...a.) I'd rather sweat from heat than fearing for my or my families safety in Michigan winter weather, and b.) if I sweat, I get wet, and I was born wet 😀. It's a no brainier for me. Obviously, YMMV.

Rolf, I have given serious consideration to both the Outback and the Forester--if I wanted to be completely sensible, I would probably get one of those, to be honest. There's a measure of...I don't know if I'd say vanity, exactly, but just "how I want to think of myself" in play here--basically, I just like the way SUV's and trucks look. I know that's not very practical. You're absolutely right, a Subaru would probably make the most sense for me. The only potential legitimate strike against them in my eyes is that they don't appear have a lot of headroom or general cargo space, and one of the things I liked about larger, more "boxy" SUV's (when I owned them in the past) is that I could comfortably sleep in them if I wanted to....I don't know if you could do that in the Outback or Forester or not. Have you ever?

Bryon I have not other than a short nap.... I'm old. :) This may help you out however. If not, check one out at the dealer.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2015.html#dimensions

Look around at all the areas you might go to within normal driving range. If you don't have a ton of 4-wheel only accessible places, save your money and go with comfort.

There is that element out there but it doesn't mean we have to participate just because we have 4wd. The stream crossings I mentioned are washed out bridges in logged back jeep roads in Maine ...

Dave, I know there are good people driving 4-wheel drives. And if the shoe doesn't fit, then my comments don't apply. I did try to get across that ... if you NEED a 4-wheel drive vehicle, then buy one. But if you're just getting one to compensate for other inadequacies (my wife calls them "small P----s Trucks") ... save your money and buy a more comfortable vehicle.

If you get stuck in boggy ground you can put on the AC, and at least be cool! AC is nice but you don't have our fuel prices. When I have had it it is almost always off. It hammers MPG. Anyway I'd rather be hot sticky and moving than cool and stuck.

Cheers,

C.

I have owned 4wd's for years.I currently drive a chevy blazer.I don't use the 4wd all the time but it's nice to have when i need it.I do drive a lot of places that are 4wd terrain both hunting and fishing and on the farm.I also use the 4wd in the snow and have pulled a few 2wd vehicles out of trouble with it.I like knowing that i can push a button and be in 4wd if i am getting into a rough area and don't sweat about getting stuck but i have been stuck.Let me tell you when you get stuck in a 4wd you are really stuck.I had to use the farm tractor to get me out last time and 4wd will get you stuck in the snow pretty quick if you don't know what you are doing.As far as the gas mileage it's not real bad in mine as long as i am in 2wd.Not real good when in 4wd but that's the trade off for owning one.I too would still rather have the 4wd than ac if i had to choose.

I appreciate all the responses -- thanks guys. You all make good points. As of this moment, I'm kind of leaning toward going up to the next trim level and getting the AC over the 4WD if I have to sacrifice one or the other. Going in to the Jeep dealer tomorrow morning; we'll see what comes from that. I can always count on folks here for a good discussion. :)