Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Retro.... do mayflies come in black? I've never seen one. White or yellow.... never black.

I didn't think the fish would mind ......i thought they looked good in black ...we have them in a dark brown and black ( the little black mayfly is somewhat finer and delicate... than the more robust brown version) Very common in the New England Region where I live.

The only analogy that comes to mind is that of an Elephant in a Tutu and a graceful ballerina post-37956-0-78369300-1449111185_thumb.jpgMayfly adult, from rainforest, Mount Glorious, Queensland, Australia. This is the only picture at hand at the moment sorry.

I will do my utmost when next in Ebor trout fishing to take a photo of said Black mayflies.

Hi FlaFly

Here in Victoria, Australia a black spinner or dun is my fly of choice if there are rainbows rising just on dark.

Cheers

BTW I have never actually seen black mayfly where I fish...... BUT the fish don't seem to mind

Cheers

VB1971

Here are some mice and a double articulated musky snack. 12 inches in length on that musky fly.

Those mice are bades on Andersson's mouse. Those little guys float like cork!

post-32306-0-37321200-1449145552_thumb.jpg

post-32306-0-99119700-1449145579_thumb.jpg

post-32306-0-38368500-1449145646_thumb.jpg

Slack ... those are great looking Mice. I really like that streamer, too. Looks ghostly on the black background ... if it looks that transparent in the water, something is going to maul the sh## out of it.

Thanks Mike. Yah that ghostly streamer is reservsed tied, fairly sparse. It is tied on a 5/0 rear, 55mm middle shank and a 6/0 for the front.